V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Dashboard removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 01:33 PM
winner99
3rd Gear Member

Default Dashboard removal

I need to remove my dashboard and reinstall it because its squeaking like crazy on the passenger side. I want to put everything back with silicon. How involved is this. Are there any diagrams available?
Old 09-04-2010, 09:20 PM
JKs95stang
4th Gear Member

That's quite a bit of work, are you sure it's your dash and not a front end part
Old 09-04-2010, 09:34 PM
stangant
5th Gear Member

Well there is removing it or simply move it back, just moving it back is more of a logical thing. I removed mine when I did the interior conversion and all my buddy's told me "I hope you like it cuz were not helping you again with it" .... lol its really confusing at a point but if you move it back put some sili on it and push it back should not be a real hassle.

Think it would go like this just to move it back a little:

1. remove glove compartment and center console
2. remove driver side panel under steering wheel
3. remove air vents, radio bezel and kick panels
4. remove passenger air bag ( you should have already disconnected the batt.)
5. remove air passage tube that ran behind the air bag.
6. remove gauge bezel
7. drop steering wheel
8. search for main bolts to the body
9. pull away from body but be careful of wires
10. REWIND

Hope that helps

Last edited by stangant; 09-05-2010 at 06:06 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:52 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

It only takes about 45 minutes to get it out.

1. disconnect battery
2. remove seats, not required, but you will be happy you did
3. remove center console
4. open glove box, remove passenger airbag
5. remove driver's front wheel
6. detach section of inner fender closest to firewall to access the bulkhead connector
7. loosen bolt on bulkhead connector and disconnect from firewall
8. with glovebox in the lowered position, out of the stops, remove bolt on right upper corner behind glovebox
9. disconnect antenna in the same area
10. disconnect a/c vacuum harness
11. close glovebox
12. remove kick panels
13. remove a-pilar trim
14.disconnect harness on right kick panel, 3 commectors next to each other
15. disconnect climate control harness, near blower motor
16. remove steering column lower dash cover
17. remove metal panel exposed by removing lower dash cover
18. towards the firewall, at the base of the column, remove the pinch bolt where the intermediate shaft connects, the column will come out with the dash, unless you want to take it out seperately
19. disconnect harnes on driver's kick panel, should be 5 connectors
20. disconnect GEM module, under dash on drivers side near the kick panel
21. on the tansmission tunnel, below the radio, unplug the harness going to the crash sensor
22. on autos, disconnect the shift interlock by removing on screw from the cable near the shifterm removing the cotter pin, and then disconnecting the cable
23. remove the radio
24. on autos, disconnect the shifter electrical connector
25. turn the a/c temp selector to the cool position, look through where the radio was and you'll see blend door, disconnect that cable
26. Remove the 4 bolts, 2 on each side, that were exposed at the base of the dash when the console was removed
27. on the driver's side, remove the nut from the stud on the leading edge of the kick panel, and there is a bolt slightly to the right and above that bolt that has to come out as well, near where the lower dash cover was
28. on the passenger side, remove the bolt on the leading edge of the kick panel
29. remove defrost grille, use caution
30. remove the 3 upper support bolts
31. get a second set of hands and remove the dash assembly, be careful to make sure everything was properly disconnected and nothing is being stressed

I don't recommend using silicone so get rid of the squeeks, it will just cause problems. I recommend trying to get ahold of some adhesive backed felt, it's what they use from the factory, most luxury cars cover everything in it to keep the squeeks down.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:41 AM
winner99
3rd Gear Member

^^^That sounds more like 45mins and a total b*tch. Its just squeaking like hell right were it meets the windshield as I go over bumps. I just want to pull it back I guess or get to it from underneath.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:00 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

It reads a lot worse than it actually is
Old 12-07-2012, 09:09 AM
blackgt09

its sucks ***! im trying to do mine now and there are bolts hidden everywhere it seems!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Ironhandx
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RyansQuick6
It reads a lot worse than it actually is
Do you have a quick writeup somewhere on doing a complete interior swap? I'm going to be tackling mine next weekend.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:55 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

Doing a quick write up on a total swap isn't going to happen. Total time though would be about 4 hours for someone experienced, 8-10 for a novice. If you've never done it before, it'll probably take you an hour to figure out how to get the pin to push in using the seat belt buckle to remove the bottom of the back seat.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:01 AM
Ironhandx
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RyansQuick6
Doing a quick write up on a total swap isn't going to happen. Total time though would be about 4 hours for someone experienced, 8-10 for a novice. If you've never done it before, it'll probably take you an hour to figure out how to get the pin to push in using the seat belt buckle to remove the bottom of the back seat.

I wouldn't put you out enough to do a full writeup. I was wondering if one already existed somewhere

A full day to get the original out, then the same to get the new in is what I figured. I've removed the seats and the back seat once before but the rest I haven't done.

Quick Reply: Dashboard removal