V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Car won't turn over!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 10:35 PM
beezyy

Default Car won't turn over!

Hey, we're having a problem with a 1995 Mustang V6 3.8 L. It has about 145,000 miles.

We don't really know much of the service record on the car. Someone owed us some money we loaned and gave us the car. So far all we had to change was the starter.

So the other day my brother was driving the car car and it suddenly just stopped on him a block away form our house. We left the car there and came back a few hours later to check it out and it turned on. The next morning he was driving and stopped on him after about 15 miles of driving. We towed it back home and haven't driven it since.

When we turn on the ignition it feels like its gonna start but doesn't turn over. Smell of gas comes off too.

When we turn on the ignition, we can hear the fuel pump turn on near the gas tank. Could it be a clogged fuel filter?

Another thing to note, my brother has a habit of leaving the gas tank till its almost empty and has ran out a few times n ive had to go get him gas. Could that have led to fuel filter clogging up with something?

BTW car has plenty of gas 3/4 tank full so its got gas. Thanks!
Old 10-26-2010, 12:02 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

First check the fuses and replace any that are blown. Then test the battery to make sure it has enough juice (amps) to turn the car over. You'd be surprised about the wierd issues that occur when a battery is on its way out. Most autoparts stores will test it for free. Have them do a voltage test and a load test. After that, check the connections to the starter to make sure they are good, and that the starter is getting power.

Good luck...
Old 10-26-2010, 03:44 PM
Itz_Gizzy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by petrock
First check the fuses and replace any that are blown. Then test the battery to make sure it has enough juice (amps) to turn the car over. You'd be surprised about the wierd issues that occur when a battery is on its way out. Most autoparts stores will test it for free. Have them do a voltage test and a load test. After that, check the connections to the starter to make sure they are good, and that the starter is getting power.

Good luck...

^This
Old 10-26-2010, 04:36 PM
03shadow
5th Gear Member

youre saying you can smell gas when you go to start the car?
Old 10-26-2010, 07:15 PM
haystackstang
2nd Gear Member

ok on the 94-98 models there is a hose right next to coil pack now when that hose goes bad it can swell putting pressure up aganst the conector lifting it up keeping it from sending spark had this happen to 2 of my sn95.

if batter checks out id recomend changing your fuel filter regardless with that many miles

now to answer your ? about running it dry since we have electronic fuel pumps it relys on the fuel for lubrication so by running it dry u will fry u fuel pump and that might be your problem

also on the fuel rail there is a little thing that almost looks like the valve stem on your tire take the cap off push on the little tab with screwdriver to see if youve got fuel pressure.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:16 PM
haystackstang
2nd Gear Member

also were in CA are you located if your close to me wouldnt mind trying to help u out
Old 10-26-2010, 11:59 PM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by haystackstang
also on the fuel rail there is a little thing that almost looks like the valve stem on your tire take the cap off push on the little tab with screwdriver to see if youve got fuel pressure.
If you do this have some rags handy, and wear glasses. The fuel can come out pretty fast/hard. You don't want that all over the motor, or in your eyes. But a better test is a fuel pressure gauge. Most autoparts stores will rent one to you for fairly cheap.

However, I don't think thats the problem. If I understand the problem correctly, you turn the key and nothing happens. The starter isn't running. Fuel isn't in the equation yet.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:44 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Well with the 95 you can also hear if there is fuel being pushed into the system when you turn the key over but before starting the car. You should hear a hum when turning the key, that will let you know the fuel sender/pump is good.

Matthew
Old 10-27-2010, 12:37 PM
beezyy

Wow thanks for all the input guys seriously. Well checked all the fuses and we checked out the battery. All checked out.

I had no idea how to check the connection to the starter, but the car seems like its right about to turn on. Usually when there is a starter problem, all the car does is click and not even crank at all right?

As someone mentioned earlier, when i turn the ignition key, I do hear a humming noise for like a second or so. So the fuel pump is active.

I bought the fuel filter last night and will change it out today after work. So hopefully that is it.

Someone mentioned the fuel rail valve stem. Where is the fuel rail located exactly? So if there is pressure there, what would that rule out?

Thanks guys.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:30 PM
haystackstang
2nd Gear Member

On passenger side fuel rail its towards the front of the motor if u got pressure means fuel is not causing the problem do to lack of since your brorher likes to run her empty

Quick Reply: Car won't turn over!