Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters
Sponsored by Optima Batteries

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 12-23-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
Dasmo1135

Vehicle: 2002, Ford, Mustang
Default Shifting problems

I have a 2002 mustang v6 3.8L, it's automatic and fully stock.
It's not mine yet though, my parents are giving it to me for my birthday, but it has a problem shifting from gear to gear. My dad said he got it checked out and it's just because of an old transmission, but my uncle said I can get an ECU check to see what's really going on. Does anyone have similar problems/solutions? Going from 0 to 55 on the highway it seems to stay low in RPM's and doesn't kick into gear until three or four seconds later than it should? What can I do to fix this? oh and How much does an ECU check cost?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Dasmo1135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:47 AM   #2
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1995 Ford Mustang
CrainRacing
Send a message via AIM to NeoTokyo Send a message via Yahoo to NeoTokyo

Well the 4R70W trans is a very good trans, very strong too.
I would take it into a dealer and get a full over diagnostic (Its about $70) and see what they say before you get the car from your parents.

Its probably a great time to flush that trans fluid too and chance the filter.

Ask the dealer how much that is and ask them if they could put a new valve body on for you.

The reason why I am suggesting a new valve body is because I am going to recommend a JMod valve body.

Its pretty much what Ford SHOULD have done and is a very popular upgrade to allow more fluid to flow through the body allowing better shifting and longer life of the trans.

Its about $119 and when you ship your old one back you get $40 dollars back.
You can buy it here.
http://www.vapauto.com/jmod.htm

The dealer will be able to give you full insight on the health of the car and the transmission.

Good Luck and Welcome to MustangForums.

-Eric-

http://www.hookit.com/members/crainracing/

01' Mustang - Sold -
95' Mustang - Penny -
96' Mustang - NoName -
01' Passat GLX V6 4Motion
NeoTokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:47 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
02, 1994, 2002, ford, gear, locking, mustang, page, problem, problems, shift, shifting, shifting problems, transmission problems, v6