V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

How much do you guys estimate I will gain?

Old 12-24-2010, 07:13 PM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by NeoTokyo
Here is a pic of some of the goodies I have, you can see the MotoBlue UPD there.
You really cant see the belt too well, its folded up by the Cobra heat vent.

Nice mods... except the diablow! :P
Old 12-25-2010, 03:23 AM
robb15033
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jthorn9
+1....the throttle body will be a 100% waste. Get a vortech or do the M-112 conversion and get some real bang for the buck.
CAI and the BBK throttle body will improve acceleration/driveability. Its not a waste at all. I have the typical full list of mods and when they are all together and you get dyno tuned, it works out really well.
You cant listen to everybodys opinion (including mine) without keeping an open mind.
I added the throttlebody a week before the dyno tune and it is an excellent upgrade. The increased diameter isnt the only thing you get with it. It operates the butterfly valve proportianatly better and is engineered better.
All the bolt-ons + dyno tune= 20HP (+or-)
Old 12-25-2010, 04:20 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Yeah, I am not very fond of Diablosport but for $75 brand new in box I wasnt going to gripe.

We use SCT on our other cars but my first ever tuner was a Diablo when I bought my 05' F150 FX4 back in 2005 and thats when I really developed my hate for the slow load times.

To be quite honest, I felt no difference in power with the tuner which I expected anyways. I only forked the cash over for it so I could change my shift points and pressure.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:48 AM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

Robb, do you have any idea how wrong your info is? Its just a slightly larger stock tb, nothing else, and an intake is only as big as its smallest spot, in this case, the intake manifold. Anything made by bbk is a waste, just like apc, granatelli, etc.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:23 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

+1 robb, not throwing you under the bus but how many Mustangs have you worked on or built? Trust me a throttle body is a waste on a V6. Now a 5.0 and a 4.6L Cobra they do add power, but on a V6 it is a waste unless you're boosted or running a high powered N/A motor. If you worked on Mustangs you'd know you can't just bolt on a throttle body and get gains, why you ask, because a V6 has a throttle body that is 60mm and an upper plenum opening (also called the upper intake) that is 60mm, so guess what putting on a 65mm throttle body does nothing cause the opening is still 60mm, you have to port match the intake and even then the gains are minimal cause the bottle neck in the lower ports of the intake, heads, and cam is still there.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:26 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Yeah the only way the tuner makes power is by increasing the timing and adjusting the fuel curves for maximum power. On a V8 this can make decent power, but on the 3.8L V6 they are already so fine tuned that the tuners don't make much power cause the amount of power yielded by bumping timing is minimal.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:12 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by robb15033
CAI and the BBK throttle body will improve acceleration/driveability. Its not a waste at all. I have the typical full list of mods and when they are all together and you get dyno tuned, it works out really well.
You cant listen to everybodys opinion (including mine) without keeping an open mind.
I added the throttlebody a week before the dyno tune and it is an excellent upgrade. The increased diameter isnt the only thing you get with it. It operates the butterfly valve proportianatly better and is engineered better.
All the bolt-ons + dyno tune= 20HP (+or-)

I keep re-reading this hoping to find something in the text that is true. I just can't do it.

Just to spark things up, I've got $100 CASH for anyone who can show me a 3.8L TB that adds more power (before and after dyno) to a stock motor outside the typcial dyno calibration error range.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:00 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Pay me for the throttle body and the dyno and I'll "MAKE" it happen for $100 lmao
Old 12-25-2010, 07:01 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Cause I have a stock V6 to work with :P
Old 12-26-2010, 12:48 AM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

Originally Posted by LilRoush
I keep re-reading this hoping to find something in the text that is true. I just can't do it.

Just to spark things up, I've got $100 CASH for anyone who can show me a 3.8L TB that adds more power (before and after dyno) to a stock motor outside the typcial dyno calibration error range.

Alright matt, I just got my 100% stock supercoupe motor and 75mm throttle body installed, do you want my paypal or would you like to just hand it to me next time your in Texas?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much do you guys estimate I will gain?