V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

gauge cluster colors

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 07:53 AM
d.girardi
2nd Gear Member

Default gauge cluster colors

I want to change the color that my gauges light up. I'm just curious if anyone has done this because i want to know What all is needed to do this. I've seen alot of mismatched information about film being on the back and such so I just wanted to see if anyone here has first hand information or knew of a really good write up.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:58 AM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

I haven't done it yet, waiting for it to get warmer so I don't have to sit in the cold. But here's a very thorough write up that'll show every step and what's really behind there. Also shows instructions for hvac lights

http://www.mikefordmustang.com/write...er-mustang.php

Last edited by NewEdgeStang00; 02-13-2011 at 01:12 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:02 AM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

I'm guessing you read thru my original thread so that's why you asked about the film lol. The author of the writeup said his came with a blue film on the back, so for example when he used red lights it came out slightly purple. But others said its just the color of the incandescent bulbs (which is what I originally assumed until reading the writeup).

And for his stock car the incandescent bulb emits a yellow light through the blue film making it appear green.

Last edited by NewEdgeStang00; 02-12-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:41 PM
ih8unow

Originally Posted by NewEdgeStang00
I'm guessing you read thru my original thread so that's why you asked about the film lol. The author of the writeup said his came with a blue film on the back, so for example when he used red lights it came out slightly purple. But others said its just the color of the incandescent bulbs (which is what I originally assumed until reading the writeup).
I don't want to sound like a smartass, but the blue film on a lot of the parts like that is supposed to be peeled before installation. The factories put it on there to keep the finish from getting scratched in shipping.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:40 PM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ih8unow
I don't want to sound like a smartass, but the blue film on a lot of the parts like that is supposed to be peeled before installation. The factories put it on there to keep the finish from getting scratched in shipping.
I'm not talking about the blue film on new parts lol... I'm talking about a blue film that's behind the STOCK gauge cluster thats already on the car, read the article I posted the link to.

Oh I see why you misunderstood me though, in the post I should've said "his CAR came with the blue film behind the stock gauge cluster."

and to OP the light through the dash appears green because the incandescent bulb emits a yellow light that passes through the blue film making it appear green. If you know about mixing colors of RGB then you understand how mixing the basic colors produce others of the color wheel. If you want a pure color to shine through then you can strip the blue film behind the stock gauge cluster so whatever color you choose comes through.

the blue film is behind the number and dial cutouts.

Keep in mind this is ALL info about the stock gauge cluster and bulbs that come with the car, not any new parts.

Here's the standard color wheel, it's a diagram showing how mixing colors produce different colors. Blue and Yellow mixes into green. Red into Blue mixes into purple, etc.

Last edited by NewEdgeStang00; 02-12-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:15 PM
SON1C
3rd Gear Member

i've seen them come out bad, like its not lit the same throughout, not the color you wanted,personally i dont think its worth the trouble, you also have to change the bulbs for the rest of the interior otherwise it looks off imo. just my opinion though.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:09 PM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

If you want it to come out looking bright use the cool white since it has the highest intensity. But Elias is right if you change the dash you should also change the HVAC lights because it would look weird to have it different colors.

here's how it looks with the cool white

Last edited by NewEdgeStang00; 02-12-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:38 PM
d.girardi
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NewEdgeStang00
If you want it to come out looking bright use the cool white since it has the highest intensity. But Elias is right if you change the dash you should also change the HVAC lights because it would look weird to have it different colors.

here's how it looks with the cool white
you got a link to those bulbs?
Old 02-13-2011, 01:10 AM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

At the beginning of the article he includes a link, here's the direct link to superbrightled's bulb

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...ini-wedge.html

get the one under "Instrument Panel and Gauge LEDS Wedge" and you'll need to select the 74-xHP3 <-- the x will be replaced by the color code you choose.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:23 AM
03shadow
5th Gear Member

nope an 04 car will have green film. i believe 00 was the last year for blue

Quick Reply: gauge cluster colors