V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Advice about rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 09:06 AM
robb15033
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by compdude97
Do not buy drilled rotors, that is nothing more than a gimmick. Slotted will help a bit with cooling (although that isn't the main purpose of the slots), but drilled doesn't.

With that said, you don't need slotted rotors for daily driving. Sure if you were going to be going to the track with the car you would want them, but then you would also want Cobra brakes, or something better.

Seeing as you have said you are on a tight budget my advice would be to go www.rockauto.com and buy the best brand name rotors you can afford. For daily driving you won't see a performance increase from basic rotors and slotted ones as you won't be putting enough heat into them to make a difference.
Please do not post information that is completely incorrect. I posted yesterday saying to do some research. You should do the same. Your leading people in directions with incorrect information. Anyone can go to "How things work" or "about.com" or "ask" and get the correct information and then make a decision on whats best for their driving habits, climate, ect.. Please.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:32 AM
compdude97
2nd Gear Member

Robb, I don't post incorrect information, what I said is 100% correct.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:14 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

No sir you are incorrect.

Slots in the rotors allow the pads to get better bite into the rotors to aid in stopping the car. Similar to how they bite into your fingers when you rub them over the brake disk as opposed to a smooth brake rotor.

Drills in the rotor reduce weight and allow for air to flow in between the rotor and help cool the pad and rotor under heavy braking/driving. They also give a place for brake dust to escape from under the pad caused by the braking and the slots.

I have them on my 5.0 along with a Cobra brake conversion and the brakes in my 5.0 are far superior to those in my 99 Cobra which are again far superior over standard GT/V6 brakes.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:29 AM
Sicy Stang
2nd Gear Member

Well since I just do basic daily driving and my car is not all souped up or anything, I should probably just go with the regular rotors.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:59 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Well I like the drilled/slotted however the slots do wear down pads faster but the drills still have their advantages. Put it this way, once you go with those you'll never go back.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:02 PM
compdude97
2nd Gear Member

jthorn, I am well aware of the reason for the slots, and it isn't for bite per say, it is to move the barrier of gases that forms between the rotor and the pad in high heat braking.

The holes do nothing, sure you may find a few who claim it helps with heat, but it doesn't make a noticeable impact, even under heavy braking. In fact drilled rotors hurt your braking performance as you are reducing the surface area the pad has to catch.

I will give you that drilled rotors look cooler under a wheel, but they don't improve performance any, in fact they hurt it. It doesn't surprise me that you think the opposite though, a lot of people who don't understand how brakes work make the same mistake.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:02 PM
compdude97
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sicy Stang
Well since I just do basic daily driving and my car is not all souped up or anything, I should probably just go with the regular rotors.
Good choice, no sense in spending extra money on stuff you don't need.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:59 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

I understand very well how breaks work but again sir you are incorrect. The slots are not as effective as venting gases as drills as some slot designs don't run past the pad which doesn't always allow the gases to leave the rotor. They do help with the bite of the pad hence why they wear down pads quicker. Drills effectively remove gases, water, and air but come at the cost of some braking power and rotor strength if they are drilled too closely or the rotor is made cheaply.

Last edited by jthorn9; 04-13-2011 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:01 PM
compdude97
2nd Gear Member

Again you have no clue what you are talking about. Keep believing what ever you want, just don't spread false information to others.

Oh and if drilled and slotted was the best way to go then don't any professional race cars use drilled rotors? Not in F1, NASCAR, IRL, Grand Am, none of them use drilled rotors.

Last edited by jthorn9; 04-13-2011 at 11:48 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:09 PM
robb15033
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by compdude97
Robb, I don't post incorrect information, what I said is 100% correct.
If I take the time to collect and post tech articles contradicting what you have said, would you please refrain from posting your opinions for a while? Or is it that you know the facts and those who service or produce them are going to be wrong also? I really don't want to take the time. I can see this being a loosing battle. I just might refrain from using the forum for awhile.

Quick Reply: Advice about rotors