V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

New Shocks... I Hate them

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 04:35 PM
IKNOU

Default New Shocks... I Hate them

I put eibach pro springs on my car a few years back. I kept the stock shocks on, but the ride continued to progressively get worse and worse. I finally broke down and bought the eibach pro damper kit. I put them on last night and the ride may even be worse. It didnt level out the sides like the reviews said it did and it now sits even lower.

American Muscle (I am a fan but...) wont take them back after i installed them so i'm stuck with them. At this point, i'm ready to put my car back to stock height. I love the look lower, but this bad ride is ridic.

Any ideas? something i may have done wrong or what I could do to make it better?
Old 04-22-2011, 06:13 PM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

what do you mean by ride is ridic.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:20 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Is it rough? Too stiff? Rubs the fender walls? I don't understand what is wrong with the ride without more info.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:46 PM
robb15033
2nd Gear Member

Its usually an absoulute must to have aftermarket shocks/struts, caster camber plates, X2 ball joints, and a bumpsteer kit.With either Eibach set, (Pro or Sportline).
Did these components not satisfy you? And why not??
Old 04-22-2011, 11:57 PM
IKNOU

Ride is very rough and rubs the fender well under small bumps. I only have the shocks and springs. Are cc plates necessary? Ive gone prob 40k miles with eiback springs, stock shocks, and no cc plates
Old 04-23-2011, 06:55 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

One of two things (assuming you have the right size tire/rim combo):

1) Your factory shocks/struts are shot. There's no way Pro Kit springs should be allowing your wheels to scrub the fenders if they were good.

2) You are getting used to the way a lowered Mustang rides. You'll get a rougher ride, and feel every bump with the higher rate springs you installed.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:28 AM
IKNOU

My factory shocks and struts were shot, thats why i bought the eibachs. The springs looked fine when i changed the shocks
Old 04-23-2011, 09:29 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Yes you need adjustable caster cambers for anything less than a 1.5" drop. Before I bought my 5.0 previous owner did the same thing, lowered the car over 2" and no adjustable caster cambers. When I brought it to a shop my suspension was so tore up it wasn't even funny. I had to get new shocks/struts installed along with adjustable caster cambers. After that car has been perfect ever since. Well almost, aside from the fact I'm dropping a new motor in.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:56 AM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

With all supporting mods the ride is still very stiff for me but it may just be because I haven't adjusted the suspension since installing the products. But I know what u mean, you should go ahead and get the supporting products listed above and make sure to adjust it correctly for the best ride quality. I also have cc plates, X-2 steeda kit, bumpsteer kit etc
Old 04-23-2011, 10:20 AM
fearthisinc
3rd Gear Member

I also purchased the Pro damper kit and installed it with the Eibach springs thinking it was the best combo.. the ride was extremely rough and with the body kit my car was TOO low.. so i removed the springs but left the pro damper kit.. The car still rides very rough.. so rough that when i hit some potholes the cd skips.. i have NEVER had that happen.. thinking of just trying to order some stock replacement shocks and see if that helps..

Quick Reply: New Shocks... I Hate them