V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

My Tachometer killed my Speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 09:47 AM
drec02

Default My Tachometer killed my Speedometer

I started my car this morning and the tachometer was not working. The car drove three miles and no check engine light came on. Then all of a sudden the speedometer dropped to zero while I was going about 35 mph and the check engine light came on. I shut the car off, left, cameback maybe 15 mins later and when I started the car the tach went up and Immediately came back down to zero. The car still starts fine and shifts fine. Help!? Whats happening?
Old 05-25-2011, 08:43 PM
03shadow
5th Gear Member

its gotta be a connection somewhere
Old 05-25-2011, 08:48 PM
03shadow
5th Gear Member

especially since youve been having a lot of weird problems with that area of the car lately
Old 05-25-2011, 10:44 PM
drec02

What makes it even "weirder" is I took the instrument cluster out and no corrosion anywhere and when I hooked everything back up it still didn't work. I took the ignition switch off, perfect connection and no short put everything back together and it still didn't work. Took my wife to work and without hitting a bump or anything it started working again. But guess what..... when I shut the car off and removed the key the ABS light remained lit and the check engine light came on(its baaaccckk). If anybody, anybody has had this problem PLEASE HELP?
Old 05-26-2011, 05:05 PM
drec02

All the problems are back, any ideas on where to start? Now the car doesn't want to start unless I remove the battery connection and let the computer reset. Is there some type of sender or relay connected to the fuel rail because I know it can't be the fuel sender in the tank seeing as how it reads correctly and that thats the only job of the fuel sender. Oh that is what the computer scanner that Autozone used said triggered the check engine light. When driving the car it still feels as if it did when it was brand spanking new, in which it should because I never drive it hard and I do all of the regular maintainence on time. But these electrical gremlins have me stumped any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:42 AM
drec02

Problem solved for now! I'll eventually have to replace the brake control module but after pulling all three fuses for it I corrected the instrument panel and no start problems. The module has a crack in the back and I think it has gotten some water into it from my last carwash and all this flooding were experiencing and the water is causing the short circuiting. I pulled the two fuses in the relay box first (waited to pull the inside fuse) and reconnected the battery. Started the car and no tach or speedo, service engine soon light jumped on and also no odometer reading. Pulled the inside fuse and tach jumped up and odometer reading displayed, service engine soon light went off. I said hell "nawl" then with the car still running I stuck the fuse back into it plug, tach dropped to zero, odometer displayed dashes, and then the service engine soon light came on. I said f*ck "nawl" my mind has to be playing tricks on me. With the car still running I removed the fuse again and the tach gave a display, odometer showed mileage, and the service engine soon light went off. I said hell f*cking yes diagnosis complete!
Old 05-28-2011, 09:00 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

lol, well glad that you figured it out then.

hopefully this thread will help others down the road that might have the same problem.