V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Overheating and engine knock

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 10:01 AM
ashipley

Default Overheating and engine knock

I have been having slight problems with my mustang for a few weeks now. I had noticed the the heat gauge went to showing that it was way over heated so I stopped checked it and the plastic reservoir was nearly empty, so I refilled it. I had had problems before with maintaining antifreeze levels so I kept a fairly close eye on it. The car ran fine after that but the heat gauge was going crazy as soon as the car would turn on it would say that it was overheating so I would turn the a/c on to help circulate things and after revving the engine a few times the temp gauge would go back to normal. I added some powder radiator stop leak to the radiator and drove it. I went around 70mi and the engine overheated and antifreeze sprayed out of the relief valve and all that. I let it cool down some and the fluid levels were all still fine but the oil was really high and extremely hot. when I went to restart the car it started the knocked really bad and lost all rpms had to get towed home but 2hrs later when I did get towed I was able to drive it onto the tow truck but it still knocked. then upon getting home another 2hrs later it started fine and drove off no problem but the heat gauge it still all messed up. I am fairly new to working on cars so I cant get too technical but do you have any ideas on what may have caused this and what I could do to possibly fix it if it is fixable. model 1995 3.8L 155,000 miles
Old 06-12-2011, 11:29 AM
ashipley

Default Engine over heating and knocking HELP!!!!!

I have been having slight problems with my mustang for a few weeks now. I had noticed the the heat gauge went to showing that it was way over heated so I stopped checked it and the plastic reservoir was nearly empty, so I refilled it. I had had problems before with maintaining antifreeze levels so I kept a fairly close eye on it. The car ran fine after that but the heat gauge was going crazy as soon as the car would turn on it would say that it was overheating so I would turn the a/c on to help circulate things and after revving the engine a few times the temp gauge would go back to normal. I added some powder radiator stop leak to the radiator and drove it. I went around 70mi and the engine overheated and antifreeze sprayed out of the relief valve and all that. I let it cool down some and the fluid levels were all still fine but the oil was really high and extremely hot. when I went to restart the car it started the knocked really bad and lost all rpms had to get towed home but 2hrs later when I did get towed I was able to drive it onto the tow truck but it still knocked. then upon getting home another 2hrs later it started fine and drove off no problem but the heat gauge it still all messed up. I am fairly new to working on cars so I cant get too technical but do you have any ideas on what may have caused this and what I could do to possibly fix it if it is fixable. model 1995 3.8L 155,000 miles
Old 06-12-2011, 08:16 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

sounds like a headgasket having a 95, maybe a few other things as well
Old 06-13-2011, 07:02 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

You have a head gasket blown. Maybe more if you kept doing it over and over. Turning on the A/C has nothing to do with engine coolant. Did you mean heater?