V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

I'm spending a week with my stang. Yay!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 11:52 PM
Droopy89

Is it on yet?? Still pondering the idea of a S/P swap and windstar on my 96..
Old 08-11-2011, 08:58 AM
mustang99v6
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Droopy89
Is it on yet?? Still pondering the idea of a S/P swap and windstar on my 96..
Slow down droopy!!!
No, this isn't one of those jump right in and throw it on type of things. I'm about to go do headers this morning, so that has my hands full. After that, I still have to get a newer throttle cable and I have to port my lower intake. So, it could be a minute.
As for your set up, yes you should. Best thing you could do for your engine.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:47 AM
mustang99v6
3rd Gear Member

Okay, got another truck today and it had this for me:

So, I gonna start reading up and gathering tools for a port job & light polish. I've got a few questions for the guys that have done this. Did you polish the top of the valve thingy? If not, how did you work around it?
Pic is a bit dark, but you can see it down in there.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:51 PM
Fink
5th Gear Member

Thats the EGR port. If your retaining your EGR then you will have to work around it. If not keeping your EGR then you file it down, fill with JB weld then port/polish.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:18 PM
mustang99v6
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fink
Thats the EGR port. If your retaining your EGR then you will have to work around it. If not keeping your EGR then you file it down, fill with JB weld then port/polish.
EGR port, cool, now I know what that is called. Yep, keeping the eager so I shall work around it then.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:22 AM
mustang99v6
3rd Gear Member

It has taken forever for the gaskets I ordered to get in. The plenum gasket came today and the lower set will be here tomorrow. I laid this thing out so that I could see just how much material could be removed. I used a red sharpie to color the intake and show the contrast.

As you can see, there is quite a bit to be removed just to "gasket match". I would say 5-10% of the total area is currently being encroached upon. And that isn't even counting the lower end, which I figure is worse. I'll know once I get those gaskets in hand tomorrow.
Here you can clearly see how much can be removed now that I lifted the gasket.

There are countless casting irregularities throughout the intake. So, I fully expect to feel quite a gain once I finish this piece. I'm going to speculate that it will flow 12% better overall once I port the top and bottom end.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:39 PM
mustang99v6
3rd Gear Member

I have spent weeks now making sure I have all the little needed bits and doing some porting. I finished the P&P on the lower and decided to pretty it up a bit.

I also asked about porting the windstar intake on another thread. Answers varied, but I decided to do it anyways. I took the 65mm spacer and held it up to the opening. Sure enough, there is quite a bit of a lip interfering. If you look close, you can see where I red sharpied it. It kind of looks copper in this light.

So, as you can see, there is quite a bit of material that could be removed. The thing that really bothered me about it though, was that the lip and the corners don't fade into each other.
The design is so much better than the factory mustang one though, don't get me wrong. But, for optimized air flow, there is room for improvement.

I took a burr bit and worked it down little by little. Then I smoothed the edges and bends with a polishing stone.

Plus, I knocked down the imperfections on the tubes as it came from VAP. I then made sure the upper and lower transitions were flush. Maybe it was a waste of time, maybe not. I can tell you this, I'm not gonna have any problems with throttle response!!!

Old 10-28-2011, 11:12 PM
mustang99v6
3rd Gear Member

Allright, here is a closer look at the aftermath of my vacation and beyond mods. After I did all my windstar and upper porting, it was time to turn some wrenches.

Once I got it tore down, I started wondering........... Hmmmm. should I change camshafts?? Should I pull the heads and port/flow match them???....
Stop it, just stop the madness I say!!! I calm myself back down with the thought of a fully built stroker in years to come. Okay, back on track...... sort of.
I ask 100 people about porting the heads on the car. 100 people told me how horrible of an idea it is.
PERFECT!! Just the motivation I need.

I do a couple of checks against my ported upper and find the long runners slam into a wall as the air enters the head. I just couldn't accept that.

At this point I feel from the upper and windstar porting I've done, that I'm getting pretty good. I take the gamble on the heads and get the wall knocked down. Nothing too radical, just enough to let the air flow through smoothly. It is indeed risky, and I would not recommend doing it to anyone. But, I do have a very steady hand, a controlled environment of a garage, and no other people to account for. Plus, if I screw it up, it just gives me reason to start on that stroker sooner!!
I clean everything up and do a test fit.

If you will look down the long runner, you see that little bright sliver down in there on the left? That is all that is left of the 3+MM ridge that used to run across the bottom of the runner. I don't think it will be causing me much trouble anymore!!!

I get everything cleaned & finish up re-assembly, and voila! Looks like a whole new engine.

So, did I bone myself and fill my engine full of metal shavings? Does it explode? You will just have to watch this video to find out.
First start attempt after everything. No tune. I turned the key to "on" 3 different times to prime the fuel pump.

Last edited by mustang99v6; 10-28-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:19 AM
WoahPony
3rd Gear Member

Awesome work for a first time port job! Very inspiring, now I want to do my own while I've got the thing in pieces! Oh, and excellent choice in music. That song, err, car sounds great!
Old 10-29-2011, 12:31 PM
mustang99v6
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WoahPony
Awesome work for a first time port job! Very inspiring, now I want to do my own while I've got the thing in pieces! Oh, and excellent choice in music. That song, err, car sounds great!
Thanks a bunch! There is actually a few weeks between those photos, and there are more. After I did that test fit, but before I put it all back together, I actually did some more porting. Mainly just a few touch ups that I couldn't get with the sandpaper roll. I ended up getting a round ball carbide tip for my dremel to fit in some very hard to reach places. I then block sanded the top of the upper to make sure all my sealing surfaces were smooth. A new set of windstar gaskets and I am good to go. The thing idles like a champ and doesn't overheat. I'm giving it a little while, and will change my oil soon, just in case. Next up is this:

and then I plan to build a heat shield for this:

Any thoughts on that would be appreciated. I'm currently planning on making a cardboard template and then using some roof shears on metal.
And speaking of metal, that is all I listen to! That and classic rock and buttrock. The themesong for my car is Holy Diver by Dio. I play it every time I leave my driveway to go to work in the morning. Then I tear *** down the block......... My neighbors HATE me!!! ha ha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkysj...yer_detailpage