V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

3.8L to 5.4L swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 11:12 PM
82T-Top
2nd Gear Member

The list:

-5.4l DOHC
-K-member- http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-q...er-kit-96.html
-5spd for now...
-8.8 rear
-When the engine bay is bare I plan to paint it black, because the clear is starting to come off in some places on the body of the car and somebody took a razor blade down the side about 4ft and on other side of car 2ft long..... soooo i want to paint the car a two-tone the Ox white on the bottom and something along the lines of fords tuxedo black clear coat metallic..... in the sun its really flakey if its the color i have seen around (hard to tell on computer pictures.) with a red pinstripe deviding the two colors because eventually when i get the the interior id like some red. (opinions on color choices please)
-As for the intake im not sure what to do yet...... i know i wont have the coin to get the BOSS 290 intake as of right now but i would also hate to run the truck intake and have to buy another hood later after saving up twice as much to buy a hood AND the intake later........
-Wiring harness-i think i will go to the salvage yard and find a gt and just pull and replace everything under the hood and dash since it works anyway (unless its much simpler than i am making it seem... again the wiring department is not yet my thing....)
-Radiator will be built by a friend that builds intercoolers for national pulling trucks (anybody need intercoolers? he does some for cars as well) and he will be able to do the radiator.

not real worried about the paint right now haha i just want the engine in, running, and driving first but with planning ahead i want the paint to look good in the end and if the engine and everything else is going to be out i might as well do it now and do it right instead of waiting.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:29 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Might want to look into upgrading the brakes. Your going to have alot of power there and will want to stop it every now and then.

Matthew
Old 08-06-2011, 01:07 PM
82T-Top
2nd Gear Member

ok so ive been looking for the navi motors....... and looking some more but the best i can find has been starting at $1600 with 105,000 plus miles...

Options:

1. Be patient and wait for something better.

2. Just buy a $200 complete SOHC with 150k miles, tear it down and build it, assuming that i could throw in all forged parts for under $2k?? internals for our 347 stroker ran around 1700 i believe....(been awhile since that build)

Will a 2006 5.4l from the vans work? could be a dumb question but i want to be sure...
Old 08-06-2011, 01:47 PM
82T-Top
2nd Gear Member

maybe i shouldnt be worrying about the miles toooo much because my truck had 130k and no problems with it... After thinking of other threads i have read and noticing the ones that answer questions say "tell us your goal"..... before i ask every question in the world ill try to make it simple.

In the end i want a 5.4 that'll take me in the mid 12's without turbo or s/c and i believe 500ish hp should get me there...
Old 08-06-2011, 03:30 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

paint engine/engine bay white to match the car, or something bright, easier to spot leaks that might be hiding
Old 08-06-2011, 05:09 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I'd keep looking for the Navi motor. $1600 is WAY too much. I have seen a few in wrecked trucks around here for $800.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:11 AM
82T-Top
2nd Gear Member

Matthew: brakes will be on list next......gt brakes an UPgrade of more of a lateral movement?? should i just look into the cobra brake kits??

Mustangman: good point man!! never thought of it like that..... colors im going with are ox white, tux black, and interior is goin to have red in it....... should the engine bay be white or red? main reason i originally said black was because im the type thats like get the smudge!!! and dont wanna spend more time cleaning than driving... i think red would not show as much as then regular dirt but at the same time i want it to flow and not be chopped up......... helll maybe even toss out the red and go with a grabber blue?? lol

Matt: i think being impatient is part of the desire to go with the SOHC just to get it up and running...... ill keep looking.... tonight i found one with 181K for $1K buuuuuuut its 200 miles away..... i am not at all afraid of a little drive like that but ad in fuel to get it and i might as well pick up the 1600$...... the one for 800 you speak of... do you remember how many miles it had?? in a perfect world id like to find somethin with around 100K for less than $1k, drop it in and go! but realistically id like to get an idea what is a good deal to look for.....

What is the engine year range for the swap with the gt computer/harness? would it be 97 and up.......
Old 08-07-2011, 01:17 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I'd look for the Mach 1 or Cobra harness, you won't have as much of a wiring headache. Otherwise the 99-04 GT would be your next best bet.

I'll poke around and see what I can find. I had started looking just in case I 'needed' to do the '98 at some point.

As for brakes, I'd def go with the Cobra/Mach 1 13" rotors/calipers up front. I usually do flat black bays... wish I had done the white car between motor swaps. Just never got around to it.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:20 PM
82T-Top
2nd Gear Member

not to sound stupid but i looked on ebay for cobra harness and they have body harness, under dash harness, under hood harness...... all necessary? again the wiring is something i need schooled in for this build... the rest is pretty simple for a mustang guy/girl...
Old 08-08-2011, 05:35 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Under hood is what you'll want. If you wanna swap the Cobra dash cluster, snag that one as well.

Quick Reply: 3.8L to 5.4L swap