V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Battery Problem PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 04:29 AM
JonnyW
1st Gear Member

Unhappy Battery Problem PLEASE HELP

Hey so I just bought my first car a week ago, a 2000 Mustang 3.8L V6 5spd Manual with 103,xxx miles and a clean title.

It has been driving and starting just fine, the only weird thing was that the battery icon came up on the dash when the engine revved at 4k RPMs, but then went away when I shifted or let the RPMs dropped so I thought maybe just an electrical problem.

Few days later, the light began to stay/flicker on... well the day that started, the battery guage slowly drained all the way to low when I was driving. I pulled into a lot and turned the car off, then tried to start it again. It wouldn't start and all I could hear was a clicking sound and no turn over.

Later that night on the way home from work, I stopped by the car again and tried starting it. Started after a second, but went up and running. Turned it off, tried to start one more time, and same thing happened. Just a clicking sound.

Following morning, I got back to the car and swapped out the battery (which the old one was tested as "Bad") and the car started fine. No problems, but the battery light was still on.. since the car started alright, I just took it as maybe another electrical problem until on my way home from work (like an hour ago) and the battery guage just slowly started to fall again RIGHT as I got home. I pulled in my driveway and turned the car off, then tried starting again. This time the was a SMALL turn over, but I couldn't hear a clicking sound (not sure if I was supposed to if there was a turnover).

I really have no idea what's going on. I feel sick to my stomach and just want to shrivel up and die. I'm a 17 year old kid who worked his butt off to buy this car for $5000 and a week later its not even starting properly. How much do you guys think this would cost me? So far, I'm thinking the alternator or maybe even possibly the starter if I'm not hearing a clicking if the car is trying to turn over? I already bought an $88 battery x.x I just hope the guy didn't screw me over. Thank you so much for reading.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:11 AM
Chucks95RT

My guess...a complete guess...would be

Check your ground wires. If the electrical system isn't grounded, you could still run the engine, but not charge the battery.

Besides the negative cable on the battery, there should be a ground "strap" from the frame to the engine. (I have no clue to exact location, since I'm a noob too).

Make sure the grounds are CLEAN and tight. Then see what happens.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:22 PM
Scott Feder

so what ever happened here? i'm curious because i just bought a 2000 gt and replaced battery, alternator, and the car has spent about 5 hours at the Ford service dept. over the last few days and still i wake up to a powerless car.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:30 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Sounds like you have a short, is it all factory? Any aftermarket stereo equipment or anything?
Old 02-18-2013, 07:04 AM
Scott Feder

It's mostly factory aside from the exhaust, intake, and cobra wheels, suspension, and a couple pulleys. There was an aftermarket head unit in there that I pulled out along with all of the wiring and I unplugged the fuse that it plugs into as well. I'm going back to Ford to drop it off here in a bit to see what they can come up with. Something is drawing power for sure and I don't know what it is.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:04 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

I'd go through anything stereo related, aftermarket or factory after knowing it had aftermarket electrics in it and make sure you don't have any wires grounding out.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:01 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Bad alternator.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:09 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

He said he replaced the alternator already
Old 02-19-2013, 02:05 AM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

He said he replaced the battery.