V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 02:37 AM
eagle19
1st Gear Member

Default What should I do?

Ok, so at 17 I got in a wreck and totaled my cobra....then I got a truck with a v8 and have fixed it up. But I'm going to college now, and miss the old feeling of sitting low to the ground. So I am probably going to sell my truck to get a 99-04 v6 mustang since my insurance is already sky high. I'm aiming to get 7K out of my truck and have shopped craigslist for basic v6 prices with under 100,000 miles on them. It looks like they are going for 4-5K. So my plan is to get a v6 and do some cosmetic work. In the past I've done more engine work than anything, but they were big engines. So I was thinking, depending on how much money I have to play with I want to do a Saleen or Mach 1 mock up. I figured before I do that though I want to get some rims if they don't already have them. On craigslist I can pick a whole set up for about $300, and then I want to get a nice exhaust system. From what I can tell with the v6, a nice o/r x-pipe gives it a good sound especially with out mufflers on them. But what I don't know is since there is no cat will my check engine light come on, possibly not allow me to get it inspected? Also I wanted to get a programmer, would this be able to turn that light off if it came on? As well as is there a programmer like the bullydog that shows you pressures and temperatures that is under $500?
Old 08-03-2011, 03:32 AM
FCMustang

Google is your friend. Just type in what specific model you need in google and go to the shopping section. Most bullydog models are under $500.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:18 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

No cats and no mufflers sucks. Generally speaking, on a stock motor, you want to keep the cats or you lose low end tq. Also, being in TX you'll never pass inspection without them. It's pointless.

If you are keeping the motor stock, keep the stock mid pipe and do a y pipe back exhaust.

If you are looking for a sweet looking V6 with a stock motor, try this one. Depending on what part of Texas, I hear the owner might even take it there for you and has the stock midpipe to go on it as well so you'll pass TX inspection.

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/2523394249.html
Old 08-03-2011, 09:31 AM
eagle19
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
No cats and no mufflers sucks. Generally speaking, on a stock motor, you want to keep the cats or you lose low end tq. Also, being in TX you'll never pass inspection without them. It's pointless.

If you are keeping the motor stock, keep the stock mid pipe and do a y pipe back exhaust.

If you are looking for a sweet looking V6 with a stock motor, try this one. Depending on what part of Texas, I hear the owner might even take it there for you and has the stock midpipe to go on it as well so you'll pass TX inspection.

Thats actually really nice, but theres 2 problems. Because its a roush I'm afraid insurance may kill me. For a regular v6 99-04 with just liability for me is $175....thats not even full coverage. And 2 I would kind of need a back seat. But I mean that is one super sick car.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:43 AM
compdude97
2nd Gear Member

Wish I had an extra 6 grand.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:52 AM
eagle19
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by compdude97
Wish I had an extra 6 grand.
haha right???
Old 08-03-2011, 11:01 AM
NYstang
MF Staff Snitch

Originally Posted by LilRoush

If only it had AC and a radio
Old 08-03-2011, 11:10 AM
04NGTMARE
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by NYstang
If only it had AC and a radio
and the original supercharged engine
Old 08-03-2011, 11:18 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Insurance is by VIN - it's a V6, so you can cover it that way.

It has a radio now. (Kenwood CD deck).
When it had ALL the goodies I had it listed and didn't get any hits at all.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:25 AM
eagle19
1st Gear Member

But if insurance is by VIN it goes by the original motor in it...and the original motor was a supercharged v6....insurance is the biggest buzz kill.