V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

crazy gauge needle

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 10:49 AM
roushstang2004
Banned

Default crazy gauge needle

Well lately when I crank on my car, the gauge needles go from left to right and then left to right again, then they will settle back to normal, the mph,rpm,battery,oil,temp, and gass needles do this, can any1 help?
Old 08-23-2011, 11:25 AM
Jeff Ball
2nd Gear Member

Almost sounds like your battery was dead, and the computer reset itself, I am unsure i haven't had this issue. Does this do it every time you start it or just that once?
Old 08-23-2011, 12:06 PM
roushstang2004
Banned

YThis only happens when I crank up the car when its at cold start but listen to this evey time I turn on my ac the ac cluster will dim and when I turn my windows down the dome lights will dim too do you think that my battery is too small for my hid for my headlights and fog light and ma stereo system in my subwoofers in my 900 watt ?
Old 08-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Jeff Ball
2nd Gear Member

AC cluster, and your dash lights run off the same relay (I THINK). HID's aren't stock, however they shouldn't be sucking up too much power. Obviously more than normal but shouldn't be too much. Are your foglights stock? I am assuming that since you have a 900watt amp and subs, your system isn't stock. You may have wired your amp/sub setup to a hot wire. Disconnect temporarly overnight for a cold start the next morning. Your amp could be staying on overnight and draining your battery. If thats true, you just need to find a wire that is only hot when the car is running. There are plenty of them. If not, your going to need to get a higher output alternator, and replacing the battery prolly wouldn't hurt. GOOD LUCK
Old 08-23-2011, 12:17 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Got a good alternator?
Old 08-23-2011, 12:28 PM
roushstang2004
Banned

How do check if it's good
Old 08-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Jeff Ball
2nd Gear Member

Step 1: Open your hood and so you have clear access to the car battery. Locate your alternator and check to be sure the alternator belt isn’t loose.
Step 2: Turn your multi-meter to the 20 V setting.
Step 3: Start the engine. At this point, check to make sure the alternator pulley / belt is spinning properly without slipping.
Step 4: There are two ways to test the voltage coming from the alternator. If you have easy access to the alternator without getting your body parts / clothing / etc tangled in the spinning pulley’s, then place the positive multi-meter probe (red) and touch it to the red terminal connector coming out of the alternator. Now take the negative (black) multi-meter probe and touch it to some metal part of your car frame (like a bolt head nearby or even the negative terminal on the car battery). Don’t ground to the alternator itself. That would be potentially bad. You should now be getting a reading on your multi-meter display. If you don’t have good access to your alternator, then you can simple test the alternator by touching the positive multi-meter probe to the positive terminal on your battery and likewise the negative probe to the negative terminal on your battery.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:38 PM
roushstang2004
Banned

Originally Posted by Jeff Ball
AC cluster, and your dash lights run off the same relay (I THINK). HID's aren't stock, however they shouldn't be sucking up too much power. Obviously more than normal but shouldn't be too much. Are your foglights stock? I am assuming that since you have a 900watt amp and subs, your system isn't stock. You may have wired your amp/sub setup to a hot wire. Disconnect temporarly overnight for a cold start the next morning. Your amp could be staying on overnight and draining your battery. If thats true, you just need to find a wire that is only hot when the car is running. There are plenty of them. If not, your going to need to get a higher output alternator, and replacing the battery prolly wouldn't hurt. GOOD LUCK
My fog lights are stock with hid kit, I'm going to buy a new battery because its so small thanks for your help good to know people are willing to help out
Old 08-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Jeff Ball
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't just go with a battery. They battery is obviously holding a charge which is good. But, your alternator isn't providing enough current it sounds. Check your alternator. OR if you can't check it yourself, Take it out, Take it to your local advance auto, napa, whatever local part store you have, and they can check it for you
Old 08-23-2011, 01:03 PM
roushstang2004
Banned

Ill be taking it to the auto store this after noon

Sorry to bother ya again but do ya have any ideas why I hear a squiking noise after stepping on the gas while driving it

Quick Reply: crazy gauge needle