V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Rain leaking into 2003 convertible

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 01:37 PM
ren

Default Rain leaking into 2003 convertible

I have a 2003 convertible that is collecting water in the rear footwells after rain. I believe the drain weep holes are plugged with debris and the water is being diverted into the car. The problem is I cannot find any drain openings. I removed the rear seat hoping I could find them and did not see anything. I also cant see any under the car or anything from the top. Does any one know where the drains are and how they can be cleaned out? Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks
Old 10-31-2011, 11:31 PM
mstng72

I have the same problem with an 04. Where the heck are those drain holes located??
Old 07-01-2013, 06:22 PM
mozdzierz

Here are the weep holes on a 2004 Mustang Convertible. They are located between the inner fender well and the rocket panel. I have placed a pry bar into the holes, so you can see it. Keeping these clear, should keep the water from going into the rocker panel and thusly, into the rear PS floor board, or DS, depending on your problem. Look at where the rear window and top meet, sometimes the stitching breaks away and creates a hole, or the top frame rubs the top and cases holes that let water in. If the top or the window is not the cause, then the weep holes are most likely plugged and not allowing the water to exit. All convertibles have drip channels, that channel the water that flows down the back of the top, to the sides and through the body. I added extra information for those who are not aware of all possible causes.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:27 PM
mozdzierz

Rocker panel, not rocket panel and creates holes, not cases holes, I don't like the spell check sometimes. No matter how many times I flipped the pics, they always went to how I took them. You can save them to your hard drive and flip them. Hope this helps anyone out there!
Old 12-04-2014, 01:09 PM
massimo.costetti

Hi mozdzierz! Thanks for your post, I found the weep hole, I stick a screwdriver in it and it looked like I opened a tap, all the water that was accumulated on the side of the door came out, or better, all the water that didn't already go inside the car and flooded the area behind the driver seat.
So thanks!
However, when I put the screwdriver in there, I can feel that there's a lot of stuff in there, it feels like a piece of foam, not like normal debris, and I'm not able to pull all of that out. Now I was able to let the accumulated water come out, but the material is still in there and I'm scared that when it rains next time it will still clog the weep hole. Do you know what that foam could be and how I can take that out?
Thanks!
Old 12-04-2014, 02:54 PM
surfergirltg

Unhappy

I have an 2005 Mustang that leaks water when the rubber grommets under the hood cowl become blocked with leaves or mud causing water to leak in under the glove compartment on passenger side floor .Sad thing is Ford has known about this issue for how many years before fixing this problem they created when they poorly designed the car. Not counting the other known issue of the hood corrosion on the 2005-09 Mustangs.Besides for what it cost to buy a brand new car today I should not have to check my car every few weeks to see if any drain holes are blocked with leaves or dirt.Besides if the dealership where I purchased my brand new mustang should have told you can't park this car under trees I would not have bought the car because where I live there are trees everywhere.Ashamed to say I own a ford.So much for "Built Ford Tough".
Old 05-01-2015, 07:49 PM
bond007

Default HELP!!! Similar problem here with my '03 vert

Well, we had a bad rainstorm a couple days ago in the Raleigh/Durham area, and my '03 'vert let water in, but interestingly, mine had collected water in the top lining behind the rear seat, (the area the top stores in when it folds down, which I also found that the lining has two 2" X 2" square windows secured with velcro toward each end that I have no idea what are they for. If I access them, there is what looks like a bracket with a square hole in the center that becomes part of the body of the car. It's too dark outside now, but will check the weeping holes tomorrow during the day now that I know where they are located...
Old 05-02-2015, 01:27 PM
mozdzierz

Default Water intrusion into the interior

It may be possible to use a shop vac to remove large debris from the cavity, by taking out the rear interior panel, and or, the rear speaker. I say may, since I have not done so, but you should be able to access the body cavity.

The top protector gets wet when there is intrusion from the top leaking and the floor boards retain water when the weep holes are clogged. You will want to look at where the glass window attaches to the fabric top for tear holes.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:41 PM
bond007

Default Where in the world are the drain holes???

I cannot find these!!!
Mine is an '03 V-6 Convertible, and yesterday we had a bad rainfall here in NC, Pass.side footwell soaked. I have now fixed the top, no leaks, now this!!!
of note, the car was sitting on a driveway with an incline towards the right side(pass. side)....
Old 08-22-2016, 09:00 AM
Karl at aoksales

Almost all convertible tops are designed with leaks in mind where the rear of the top attaches to the body under the window.
There is usually a gutter that directs that water to drains that are located near the rear wheel wells.

Remove the rear seat, backrest and side panels.
You may also have to remove an access panel or speaker to get to the area where the debris collects under the rear side windows. Sometimes you will even have to remove the rear side windows as well.
Use a wet or dry shop vac to get that debris out. Clean the drain hose with compressed air or a small wire.
DO NOT blow air or push anything up from the bottom because there is usually a flap in the hose to stop insects from entering the car. Clearing the hose from the bottom will often lodge the flap upside down where it will always be open or always closed.
Attached Thumbnails Rain leaking into 2003 convertible-71_mustang_gutter.jpg