V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

3.8 to a 4.2 stroker question

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 05:16 AM
picky

Default 3.8 to a 4.2 stroker question

Can it be done with OEM parts??

Been hearing a various number of stroker options from an f150 or a winstar?

which year f150 am i supposed to be looking for?

i want to source out some of the parts at a local wrecking yard.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:31 AM
picky

mods delete thisthread i made 2 by accident. my apologies.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:17 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I don't see the other thread, so I'll just answer here. The F150 is what you are looking for. Yes, you can swap it using all OEM parts. I want to say it's the '97+ 4.2L that you are looking for. You want the 01-04 fly wheel (internally bal) and your Mustang upper intake manifold. (You can also use the Windstar upper, but the F150 upper is too big to fit under your stock hood.)
Old 10-19-2011, 10:53 AM
mustangmike09
2nd Gear Member

Pretty easy swap if you have the tools. Same block, I pulled my 3.8, swapped over the oil pick up tube, oil pan, motor mounts, sensor on the block idk what it was lol. I used an 07 4.2 i believe, got it off ebay from a company that was bought out by LKQ. Kinda expensive for the engine but I went with a low milage to be picky. 27k miles after shipping was like 900 bucks, also wanted new heads cause I had a valve cover bolt break off into my stock head. Didn't have any problems with it leaking oil there, I put RTV around that side also, still didn't want that in there though lol

Any more questions, just ask, its a very simple swap.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Danielsmustang
2nd Gear Member

When you guys say its a simple swap, how simple are we talking about? I have been doing research, but i cant find something to tell me straight up what i have to do. From what i heard from several forums, i gathered that the 4.2 has the same block, i should use the windstar upper intake but its too high for my stock hood, i coud swap the heads, because they fit and pretty much the rest are small stuff. Now if this is true, how much gain in performance would i be looking at? because im in between this, or just buying new heads and porting my lower intake and exhaust ports.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:30 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Windstar fits under a stock hood. The stock 4.2L doesn't, you need the Windstar or use the Mustang upper.

More or less you need the 4.2L motor, a 3.8L oil pan from 01-04 (the earlier pans won't fit the 4.2L crank). if you just used the short block, you can use the Mustang heads, lower/upper intake and all the belt driven parts up front. Mustang headers/exhaust manifolds are used. Use the 4.2L crank pulley and flywheel.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Danielsmustang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
Windstar fits under a stock hood. The stock 4.2L doesn't, you need the Windstar or use the Mustang upper.

More or less you need the 4.2L motor, a 3.8L oil pan from 01-04 (the earlier pans won't fit the 4.2L crank). if you just used the short block, you can use the Mustang heads, lower/upper intake and all the belt driven parts up front. Mustang headers/exhaust manifolds are used. Use the 4.2L crank pulley and flywheel.
Thank you. Okay So if i do that, How much hp would i be looking at? If i decide to use the windstar from the 4.2L i cant use my mustang lower right? Because i heard the windstar is a split port and my upper is a single port.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:43 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Ah, I missed your year.

You can use your heads/intakes to keep it easier, or do the split port swap while you're at it and scoop more power.

A stock 4.2L (split port) is on par with the pushrod 5.0L for power.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Danielsmustang
2nd Gear Member

Well in that case, it would be easier to just do a full swap right? I get the 4.2l Change the oil pan, And flywheel and use the rest from the 4.2L
Old 03-25-2012, 11:52 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

So wait? Is this all plug and play with sensors and all? Will the 3.8 computer run the 4.2? How bout ac and power steering? Wait I guess since the block is the same the ac and steering will be too?

Quick Reply: 3.8 to a 4.2 stroker question