V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Having problems with 1996 mustang v6, alarm keeps going off

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 10:57 AM
dboys261

Default Having problems with 1996 mustang v6, alarm keeps going off

Does anyone know how to disable the alarm on my 1996 mustang v6. I'm thinking the p.a.t.s. system is not letting me start the car and just recently the alarm keeps going off when I open the doors.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:09 PM
belairbrian
2nd Gear Member

Just went through this with the 98 I bought. can't promise it's the same issue but it could be.

First, there are multiple ways to arm the alarm system.
1- pressing the lock button on the remote after exiting the vehicle ( will arm after 30 seconds or if you double click)
2- locking the car with the key. Again arms after 30 seconds
3- locking the car with the lock button then exiting the car and closing the doors.

You can tell the difference between armed and pending. The theft light flashes until the system arms.

So with that said, there are 3 ways to set off the alarm.
Open drivers door
open passengers door
punching the trunk lock out. (even if the trunk lock is still in place, if the spring loaded cable comes off the lock mechanism it will set the alarm off everytime it arms. This was my problem so I disconnected that part of the system until I can figure out how to reconnect the cable to the lock)

BTW, if the system is armed and you reach in and press the unlock switch you are not disabling the system and it will still go off and disable the car. Actually a pretty good idea since it is fairly easy to slip something inside the window and push the switch.

The only way I have been able to get a tripped system reset was with the remote key fob (pressing unlock).

When I get home I'll lock at the schematic and see what else there is.

My understanding is the sytem was designed so that removing the anti theft module disables the vehicle.

Last edited by belairbrian; 10-25-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-19-2023, 05:01 PM
gstaples

Default Still there?

I see this is a really old thread but the only one I see that discusses my problem. My alarm goes off 30 seconds after locking the doors. I think it's the trunk. You said you disabled that part. How?

Originally Posted by belairbrian
Just went through this with the 98 I bought. can't promise it's the same issue but it could be.

First, there are multiple ways to arm the alarm system.
1- pressing the lock button on the remote after exiting the vehicle ( will arm after 30 seconds or if you double click)
2- locking the car with the key. Again arms after 30 seconds
3- locking the car with the lock button then exiting the car and closing the doors.

You can tell the difference between armed and pending. The theft light flashes until the system arms.

So with that said, there are 3 ways to set off the alarm.
Open drivers door
open passengers door
punching the trunk lock out. (even if the trunk lock is still in place, if the spring loaded cable comes off the lock mechanism it will set the alarm off everytime it arms. This was my problem so I disconnected that part of the system until I can figure out how to reconnect the cable to the lock)

BTW, if the system is armed and you reach in and press the unlock switch you are not disabling the system and it will still go off and disable the car. Actually a pretty good idea since it is fairly easy to slip something inside the window and push the switch.

The only way I have been able to get a tripped system reset was with the remote key fob (pressing unlock).

When I get home I'll lock at the schematic and see what else there is.

My understanding is the sytem was designed so that removing the anti theft module disables the vehicle.