V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 07:10 PM
xvKnightridervx

Angry Transmission issues

So my transmission took a turn for the worse and I had to replace the clutch, however, after getting everything put back and reinstalled the car won't move. I have checked the clutch cable window and the TOB is catching on the fingers of the clutch and the shifter does shift into gear, all of the gears. But still the car doesn't move. Strangely though it makes a slight noise while the clutch is pushed in and it's in gear, does that mean the tranny is dead? I just can't think of what else it might be, if anyone has had similar problems I could use the info.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:30 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

What happened for you to have to replace the clutch? If your trans took a crap you would know it...you would have heard an explosion of metal parts. It sounds like you did not assemble it properly.

Do you have an adjustable clutch cable or stock? Do you have any pedal? Does it come all the way back to the top? Did you get the TOB on the fork correctly?
Old 11-09-2011, 12:32 AM
xvKnightridervx

Default Reply to; projectresto83

I was traveling down a road at about 40-45 mph when I was putting it into 3rd and it locked up and wouldn't shift into 3rd, then seeing that a light was coming up decided to down shift to slow down for traffic but it wouldn't then return to 2nd. It wouldn't shift into any gear without some drastic brute force but was by then slowed down to a stop muscling it into gear. I was finally able to get it into 1st but it was very jumpy on throttle response while I was pulling off the road.

I towed it to a shop and they said it was my clutch so I towed it to my garage and fixed it myself. I'm pretty positive I did it right but because I ain't got nothing but time I could take it apart again but I just want to be certain it's not anything else cause it took me a while to get it in.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:44 AM
xvKnightridervx

Default Continued

I looked into the transmission inspection window while it was up on jack stands and had someone compress the clutch pedal and the clutch was fully extending down the shaft. So it was on the pivot ball and there weren't any problems with the TOB, and it now goes into every gear with little ease. And about 2.25 quarts of gear oil leaked out of the end of the tranny on the drive shaft end, but I refilled it with 2.5 quarts of 80w 90 gear oil from Valvoline when I fully installed it. Everything was properly torqued to the service manual specs. We also took apart the gear shifter and console to look at the gear box but couldn't see anything that looked out of place.

Could it be a rear end sort of problem, I'm out of ideas. Maybe I'll just have to take it all apart and put it back together.

Oh and the stock tranny was a mechanical clutch with a clutch cable and a seemingly automatic adjusting clutch quadrant on the pedal. I took it all the way apart before realizing it wouldn't adjust.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:34 AM
Shellygirl722

Default 04 mustang 5 speed won't shift into anything but 5th.

We purchased this 04 mustang GT 4.6 lt, 5 speed APX 3 weeks ago from a new and used carlot. We paid 11,300, cash. Last week there started a sqeek under drivers seat. When we purchased it it didn't like reverse. My hubby changed the breaks thinking the sqeek was brakes. I has a 350 mile trip one way. I left this morning the sqeek was was still there. As I drove 3rd gear as not wanting to engage. The sqeek had gotten even louder. I begin my trip home and about 75 miles outside Little Rock. I heard a very loud pop. And I had no gears. I pulled off I-40 and no gears would not engage. I pushed in clutch and put gear into nutral. And let out clutch and it tryed to die. If I recede engine I could heard a whine like the clutch was free spinning. I had an idea. I was in 5 th gear when it pop'd. And gave it enought gas to move it. It is stuck in 5 th gear. What does this mean??? Did my clutch snap. Or did tranny go out?? I looked under car and didn't see any type of fluid. With the hood open. I can hear a noise that sounds like something is spinning with clutch in. Please help. My camaro is wrecked. Our ford expo gets BAD GAS MILAGE. We are out of a car hubby can fix it if we got a general idea where to start. Also before the loud pop. The squeeking noise wAs super loud.
Please n Ty for any help we can get.
SHELLYGIRL722
Old 11-09-2011, 03:00 AM
Shellygirl722

This car has 45,000 miles one other problem is that our code machine was throwing 2 codes. 304&307. Meaning misfire coil 4 & 7. Someone washed this engine. Should I keep car or should I bring up all the problems this Car is giving use so far. I remember a document that was put in our pile " a no lawsuit document". This isn't my first rodio. But I've. Never heard of a law suit preventing us from suing them. Like they knew the problem was there. N covered up the default car. The car fax showed nothing bad on fax. Fax showed a last owned it. When we got title. It was owned by a Hispanic male. No age. I would never bought a racing car from a young male.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:23 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Originally Posted by xvKnightridervx
I looked into the transmission inspection window while it was up on jack stands and had someone compress the clutch pedal and the clutch was fully extending down the shaft. So it was on the pivot ball and there weren't any problems with the TOB, and it now goes into every gear with little ease. And about 2.25 quarts of gear oil leaked out of the end of the tranny on the drive shaft end, but I refilled it with 2.5 quarts of 80w 90 gear oil from Valvoline when I fully installed it. Everything was properly torqued to the service manual specs. We also took apart the gear shifter and console to look at the gear box but couldn't see anything that looked out of place.

Could it be a rear end sort of problem, I'm out of ideas. Maybe I'll just have to take it all apart and put it back together.

Oh and the stock tranny was a mechanical clutch with a clutch cable and a seemingly automatic adjusting clutch quadrant on the pedal. I took it all the way apart before realizing it wouldn't adjust.

WHY THE F*CK DID YOU PUT GEAR OIL IN IT????

Anyway, how did the old clutch look? Anything broke or bent? With that description, I was too tired to think of it last night, you could have bent a shift fork as well...that you wouldn't have heard.... Sounds like you might need to drop the trans again and open it up yourself and have a look around. Its not hard at all to do so.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:12 PM
shipwreck_98

[QUOTE=projectresto83;7744980]WHY THE F*CK DID YOU PUT GEAR OIL IN IT????QUOTE]

I REALLY want to hear the answer to this one!
Old 11-10-2011, 10:56 PM
xvKnightridervx

Default Update/ reply

WHY THE F*CK DID YOU PUT GEAR OIL IN IT????

Well the mustang service manual calls for 80w 90 gear oil, so that's why I put it in it... why else? Don't worry I did my research.

Anyway found out the problem, the clutch cable needed to be adjusted to support the new clutch that was put in. By way of adjusting the clutch quadrant located on the pedal control. Only took about 5 minutes to fix, so it works now, even took it for a test drive and it sounds just fine.

To be honest it was the last thing I was going to try, but glad it worked out.

Anyway thanks for the feedback.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:52 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

You have a world class T5. Gear oil has not been put in a manual transmission since the early 80's, the non world class T5, and that was 70weight.... What ever manual you are using is lying to you or you are reading it wrong.

The world class T5 uses Dextron III, GM Syncromesh, Royal purple ATF....yada yada yada....

Glad you fixed the problem...

Quick Reply: Transmission issues