V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Adding Back Pressure (?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 02:34 PM
jkeaton
1st Gear Member

Default Adding Back Pressure (?)

Previous owner had all cats removed and installed a single 40 series flowmaster. Sounds simply aweful. Almost a ricer quality to it. I've been doing some reading and know that this has somewhat reduced the low end power and also the fact that it sounds like crap. Question is, how do I go about adding a bit of back pressure to the system to gain back some lost torque? Dont want to go to the expense of adding cats back so is there a muffler I can install that will make it sound better and also add some back pressure?
Old 12-06-2011, 03:07 PM
shipwreck_98

Does it have a crossover or is it true dual?
Old 12-06-2011, 03:10 PM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

A lack of back pressure doesn't reduce power. Period. Increasing back pressure will reduce power, not give you more torque.

Last edited by Kerns; 12-06-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:09 PM
jkeaton
1st Gear Member

It is two into one, single exhaust. My apologies then. I was reading some past posts and they talked about how removing the cats causes a loss of low end due to loss of back pressure.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:14 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

As long as you have a single exhaust, you probably haven't lost much power (I'm in the camp that believes controlling back pressure is part of making good power). You may be running lean, or you may be used to a car with more power. If you pull the plugs they should all be a light brown color. If they are white, you are running lean.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow
As long as you have a single exhaust, you probably haven't lost much power (I'm in the camp that believes controlling back pressure is part of making good power). You may be running lean, or you may be used to a car with more power. If you pull the plugs they should all be a light brown color. If they are white, you are running lean.
http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_pr...torquemyth.htm
Old 12-06-2011, 06:39 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kerns
A lack of back pressure doesn't reduce power. Period. Increasing back pressure will reduce power, not give you more torque.
False. On the 3.8L, it will cost you power by removing all your backpressure. It's been proven over and over on many a dyno. I never suggest going with anything less than a pair of high flow cats on a mild/lightly modded V6.

If you aren't going to a dual set up, I'd stay with a stock replacement muffler.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:01 PM
robb15033
2nd Gear Member

Removing the cats will give the 3.8 an awful exhaust tone & yes losing that backpressure will inhibit low end torque. It's not always the case but it is a fact with Fords 3.8L engine. You have a large variety of choices to pick from- High flow cats, OEM style, or a great economical choice is to get a set of primaries with cats and mid-pipe kit.
Magnaflow has a set but very expensive. If you go to the website "mandrelexhaustsystems.com" you can see what a set looks like. You just bolt it on. Good luck-
Old 12-07-2011, 01:28 AM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

Ye' ol' backpressure myth...

Anyway find a prochamber mid pipe and another flowmaster.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:18 AM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

That's bull****. I have no cats and have a very sweet tone. It's deep and rumbly. Even more than in my videos. Had a lot of compliments on it. Some even think it's a V8 when i park.

Quick Reply: Adding Back Pressure (?)