V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

LT Headers worth buying ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 09:17 PM
VeeSixer

Question LT Headers worth buying ?

Friend of mine has owned 3 mustang gts already and has built all three himself.. seems to know alot about parts and what not.. he said if i get lt headers for my veesix he said ill only get about 4 or 5 hp gains? is that worth spending about 1200? or just keep saving for a gt? either way im stuck with this v6 till i can buy a gt but idk if i wanna spend 1200 on lt headers if i wont see any improvements performance wise or is my friend incorrect? he says its all advertisement. especially with my k&n air filter and tune he says the only thing that has done anything performance wise is my LSD positraction
Old 12-09-2011, 09:40 PM
WoahPony
3rd Gear Member

The Headers matched with the right catback could easily net you the 10-15hp as advertised. I bought my long tubes for ~150 dollars if I remember correctly. You'll find a set in the classifieds here and there it's not too uncommon. I spent a total of $600 on my Exhaust setup which includes the MAC LT headers, BBK Catted H-pipe and the stock catback from a GT. The best way to get the full potential from the headers is to buy a tuner and get a custom tune from either Bama at American Muscle or Justin down at VMPtuning. the custom tune alone will net you another couple of horsepower and a little more toque, but will also give you the ability to fine-tune on the fly. SCT and Diablo are two companies that make tuners compatible with our cars, I love my SCT personally. All that will still fit under that $1200 price tag if you're patient and play your cards right.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:00 AM
davidcseifert

Lt headers $197
High-flo cats $90 (yes for both together, gotta lova autozone)
Pypes x-pipe ~$110
Knock-off flow 40's from eBay $77 to my door
Other pipes and install/welding $150 local shop loves fast cars

You can install the headers yourself just give it some time, you'll hate it at first I will say though haha you would see about 5ish on the wheels with the headers, it's a stockish V6 don't expect a lot....

He said your tune does nothing, really? If its not a oops tune then it helps especially on autos....
Old 12-10-2011, 02:12 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

if your stock manifolds are cracked then its worth it to upgrade, otherwise if your just planning on the basics till you get a GT I would pass. I did however add 4 mph to my trap and knock allmost a second off my quarter with a tune up, LTs, and a full exhaust
Old 12-11-2011, 08:47 AM
mustangmike09
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by davidcseifert
Lt headers $197
High-flo cats $90 (yes for both together, gotta lova autozone)
Pypes x-pipe ~$110
Knock-off flow 40's from eBay $77 to my door
Other pipes and install/welding $150 local shop loves fast cars

You can install the headers yourself just give it some time, you'll hate it at first I will say though haha you would see about 5ish on the wheels with the headers, it's a stockish V6 don't expect a lot....

He said your tune does nothing, really? If its not a oops tune then it helps especially on autos....
So they dont mind working on slow **** from time to time ?

Different shaped X pipes will have different tones/effects on flow and power, but 110 for an Xpipe is ****ing stupid money ...
High flow cats unless "needed" is useless ...

But do realize things get more expensive then you realize. Even with high flow cats, i hear most people still get a O2 code, so to solve that you need a tune. Need to be able to install LT's yourself to save a pretty penny...

And their is nothing wrong with used exhaust parts ... just an FYI.
Hell I seen a prochamber go for 200 shipped on a forum the other day ...
That would be a win for a 6er to spend a bunch of money on a mid pipe. Other then that, just have a shop weld one together H or X that is, or get used ones on CL.

But if your serious about the GT. Dont **** with performance parts ... just find someone with a set of OEM headers and replace if needed. Save your money. Cause those mods aren't gonna help you sell or raise the selling price when the day comes to sell the 6er.
honestly wish I wouldn't have spent on my 6er and would have found a 94/95 5.0 to build ...

Live and learn though ...
Old 12-12-2011, 01:29 AM
davidcseifert

funny a--hole lol he liked my car and the black marks that got left on the road outside........... haha

yes used parts are always great, just have to be patient to find good deals!!
Old 12-12-2011, 02:09 PM
mustangmike09
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by davidcseifert
funny a--hole lol he liked my car and the black marks that got left on the road outside........... haha

used parts are always questionable, just have to be patient to find good deals!! And use common sense, and know what your getting
fixed ...
Old 12-12-2011, 06:10 PM
JKs95stang
4th Gear Member

Ok, back to reality here, if you have smog laws, it's not a good idea to put on LT's. It sounds like to me that you should just do a catback of your choice, or have a shop fab it up with mufflers of your choice, flow 40's for sixxers are about the best tone/sound. If you plan on selling the car, leave it alone, worth more stock. GL
Old 12-13-2011, 04:49 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JKs95stang
Ok, back to reality here, if you have smog laws, it's not a good idea to put on LT's. It sounds like to me that you should just do a catback of your choice, or have a shop fab it up with mufflers of your choice, flow 40's for sixxers are about the best tone/sound. If you plan on selling the car, leave it alone, worth more stock. GL
my car passed MA smog with LTs and high flows
Old 12-14-2011, 05:46 PM
JKs95stang
4th Gear Member

I live in the strict state of CA, where smog is a PITA. The best option is to check your local smog laws and go from there. Even with the laws as asinine as they currently are here, there ARE facilities willing to "overlook" LT's if you can pass legally with cats/o2's/egr, gas cap test, etc... Most shops will shut you down REAL quick without a quick scan of the cpu or anything to confirm you haven't "reset" the battery, that "trick" hasn't worked in a LONG time.