V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

What is ur opinion

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 12:08 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

Default What is ur opinion

No i havnt test drove it yet, lookin at it for a winter car, its like 3 hours away. What is everyones initial reaction to seeing this ad? Good, bad, ugly?

http://lacrosse.craigslist.org/cto/2683919085.html

Kinda diggin all the pink in it tho.. hahah
Old 12-13-2011, 05:32 PM
belairbrian
2nd Gear Member

Well my first question would be why does it need a clutch? You would think if it just had a new transmission put in it would have a new clutch.

So it runs like a dream except for the clutch, bad hose (who knows what that means), a stuck seat and no mirrors.

I will note the seats look to be in nice shape.

The add reads like a car that never saw any maintenance. Just a feeling. It could be a quick fix and make a decent DD. At the least I would spend a good amount of time going over the engine.

i know you said it would be a winter car, and the last thing you want is to break down at -10.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:49 PM
jkeaton
1st Gear Member

i would see if it has a salvage title if that is important to you. that is a great price. I paid $1700 for my 94 with 191,000 miles on it. Had to put about $600 more into it to make it "safe" enough for my daughter to drive.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:08 PM
belairbrian
2nd Gear Member

I'm starting to like the prices down here. I bought my 98 with 85k this summer for $2300. needed the maint caught up but no major work.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:11 PM
belairbrian
2nd Gear Member

One other thought, why not a fwd car for a winter car. I lived in upstate NY for 12 years and rwd and snow is just no fun. Used VW rabbits.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:15 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Its a chick car, bad back tires and needs a clutch......I wonder what happend...... lol
Old 12-14-2011, 07:16 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

sent the guy an email last night addressing most of the issues you guys said as well. My mustang was my first car, ive drove it for 9 years now through the winter, I wouldn't want to drive anything else, with a good set of snow tires, i can go anywhere, and in control. Yea it def is a chicks car haha, so not sure on maintenance either. Heres what the guys' response was.

"I will get all of the information to you shortly.Let me take a look at the car again so I don't lie to you.There is not a lot of rust.The spots are the size of a quarter or smaller.There might be a total of about 5.whoever owned the car before me tried touching some up with paint.They didn't do the best job.Def. NOt a perfect match but it's not the worst by any means. The clutch is fine.I was told it would probably last about 15,000 more miles.There is a bearing that makes noise though if it is not depressed so that's what is annoying.it doesn't slip at all.I still suggest you get it changed because of the noise. if you push down the clutch just a half an inch the sound goes away.It's weird. I don't believe anyone smoked in the car. I know while I owned it it was never smoked in...actually let me take that back.I will double check but I want to say that there was one or two little marks in it from like a cigarette burn.It doesn't smell like it and for the past 2 years a cigarette hasn't been near it. I will double check on the burn comment.The transmission is brand new. I have paper work on it but I don't believe it has any sort of a warranty.I have driven it for about 3000 miles since it has been changed.The person that had the car before me must not have known how to drive stick and beat the transmission to hell.Brakes have a decent amount of life left. Exhaust was getting slightly goofy so I had new piping put in. The hose...I can't remember how that was explained...I'm not a mechanic by any means. I was told that it was like an air hose or something.basically the car didn't surge in power as much as it should>You could feel it lag slightly.I was going to have it fixed but my wife had a baby and I just parked the car.I hope I answered most of your questions, if not I will answer them in the email with the vin number.thanks"
Old 12-14-2011, 07:44 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

So it needs a throwout bearing and has a possible vacuum leak....but surge in power? that thing has no power to begin with lol

Overall though for the price, not bad.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:56 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by projectresto83
So it needs a throwout bearing and has a possible vacuum leak....but surge in power? that thing has no power to begin with lol

Overall though for the price, not bad.
my exact thoughts, my 95 squeals like that too with the throwout bearing. Not quite sure what he means by the whole hose needing to be looked at and causing power lose, sounds like vacuum to me as well, but i hear ya, what power are we losing here haha
Old 12-14-2011, 08:35 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

It'll be a quick fixer upper. A car with that many miles, it's no surprise it needs a new clutch and through out bearing. odds are the vacuum leak is on the drivers side at the vacuum cluster/harness thingy near the back of the engine.

There is one thing that would have me concerned and that's the head gaskets. 94/95s don't have great gaskets to begin with on the V6s, if that car has never had them changed it could be very prone to having that fail.

Quick Reply: What is ur opinion