V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Cat and O2 sensor

Old 02-12-2012, 06:08 AM
Rendy

Default Cat and O2 sensor

I took away the catalyst and I have disconnected the O2 sensor, car runs well...but I want to be sure, if any problems cant happen. Or what could exactly happen...
Has anybody this experience?
Thanks for an advice
Rendy
Old 02-12-2012, 07:34 PM
mustangmike09
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rendy
I took away the catalyst and I have disconnected the O2 sensor, car runs well...but I want to be sure, if any problems cant happen. Or what could exactly happen...
Has anybody this experience?
Thanks for an advice
Rendy
afr will be off
Old 02-13-2012, 06:03 AM
Rendy

Originally Posted by mustangmike09
afr will be off
Thx for quick reply...but on the website i didn´t find anything...sorry, i´m from Czech Republic and it is difficult to find any advice or help...
so, if AFR will not work, will it cause some problems? or how to solve it??
i appreciate every help
thx
Old 02-13-2012, 08:58 AM
mustangmike09
2nd Gear Member

well did you notice your fuel economy decrease greatly ... chances are your running rich as all get out if you unplugged your O2 sensors. Thats not smart, you have to atleast have the front two in. And with that you need a tune to turn off the rear sensors.

And what exactly are you running for exhaust ? No cats you say ?
Old 02-13-2012, 01:49 PM
Rendy

well did you notice your fuel economy decrease greatly ... chances are your running rich as all get out if you unplugged your O2 sensors. Thats not smart, you have to atleast have the front two in. And with that you need a tune to turn off the rear sensors.

And what exactly are you running for exhaust ? No cats you say ?
thanks, I've got off the cats and put only tubes there and the front O2 sensors are there...and no cats and rear O2 sensor are off , i dont want to put there any cats again...but i want to be sure, if it don´t cause any problem ..or should i make some changes on the engine ? i want to put a resonator instead of cats nad muffler exhaust at the end. I would like to have better power and sound. Could it be a solution?
Old 02-13-2012, 05:38 PM
mustangmike09
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rendy
thanks, I've got off the cats and put only tubes there and the front O2 sensors are there...and no cats and rear O2 sensor are off , i dont want to put there any cats again...but i want to be sure, if it don´t cause any problem ..or should i make some changes on the engine ? i want to put a resonator instead of cats nad muffler exhaust at the end. I would like to have better power and sound. Could it be a solution?
Sure put your choice of mid pipe and mufflers and go from there. But since you left out the rear O2 sensors, something has to be changed. They make MIL eliminators or you can have it tuned to turn off the rear O2's. Otherwise it will throw off your AFR
Old 02-14-2012, 05:11 AM
Rendy

Sure put your choice of mid pipe and mufflers and go from there. But since you left out the rear O2 sensors, something has to be changed. They make MIL eliminators or you can have it tuned to turn off the rear O2's. Otherwise it will throw off your AFR
well, you advise to use MIL eliminators instead rear O2 sensors, if i understood well...
do you mean such ones? http://www.americanmuscle.com/stmilel.html
sorry, my english neither technical knowledge isnt perfect thx a lot!!
Old 02-14-2012, 07:04 AM
Fink
5th Gear Member

Yes those are the Mil Eliminators he is talking about. From personal experience, these have not worked.

Your AFR will not be off by very much by having the rear sensors unhooked, the front ones do the majority of those calculations since they arent surrounded by catalyst material.

I would try this solution to rid you of the CEL associated with removing the rear sensors. http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-how...ouler-how.html since you are overseas.

There is also many threads about diy mil eliminators that cost less than $5 but you will need to splice them in yourself. http://www.paladinmicro.com/MustangMILEliminator.htm
Old 02-14-2012, 11:51 AM
mustangmike09
2nd Gear Member

^

Never tried the MIL's and hear they dont work all the time
Old 02-14-2012, 12:22 PM
Fink
5th Gear Member

^

Never tried the MIL's and hear they dont work all the time
Never worked for me when I installed LT's and O/R H.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cat and O2 sensor