V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Help with tires/wheels please!

Old 02-16-2012, 10:37 PM
Its Mr Yum Yum

Default Help with tires/wheels please!

I have a 99 35th Anniversary mustang. I've had the car for a couple of months, and the original Rims on it are starting to become boring. I know i'll probably get alot of hate for this but I'm a college student on a budget. so I went the cheap way out and bought some black and Ice hubcaps.

I checked online, and I bought the compatible size with my tires.

I went to put them in, but they don't even go around the rim of the tire to pop them in. Which brings me to my question. Can you even pop on hubcaps into Original 99 Mustang rims? or do I need to change the entire rim? or is the Hubcap just not a size large enough?

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2012, 10:56 PM
Fink
5th Gear Member

Welcome to the Forum!

You need to change the entire rim. save up some money and get a set of 17" GT "Starfish" wheels. shouldnt be more than $500 w/ tires.

Im guessing you have the 15" split tri spoke wheels now?
Old 02-17-2012, 06:01 AM
Its Mr Yum Yum

Thank you! I appreciate it. An sadly I figured that would be the case. Is there any place that sells some cheap rims though? Like just plain rims so that I would be able to pop the hubcap into that one?
Old 02-17-2012, 07:25 AM
micahk2

Your best bet would just be to spend a little more money than you want to do. I am a college student as well, so I know how it is. You could always finance to get them, if you can afford about $100 or so a month. Just find out your tire size (they are probably 18s if you are rolling stocks/replacements) and look online. You can get some decent rims for about $400-500.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/99-04-...eels-rims.html

If I were you, I'd go with the billit. A lot of people get them (though I personally don't like them). They are fairly cheap and they look a lot better than the stocks.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:14 PM
ClunkerV6

Bullitt.. why doesn't anyone say or type it right... its not billet... bullitt. I don't like them either, everyone has them... I thought modding was to stand out from the herd?

anyways... keep your eye on americanmuscle.com for wheels on sale/clearance... I just got four 18" wheels for $100 each on clearance. There is a site online that sells steel wheels that you put 'dubcaps' on. I think they were around $50/$60 a piece, so you buy your $20 dubcaps, you might as well save up for some nice wheels. Also try craigslist, just make sure they are correct offset before purchasing!!

How much tread is left on your tires? My advice would be to wait until you need new tires, then grab a wheel/tire combo from AM. Free mount and balance, free same day shipping, no sales tax (outside of PA), can't beat it.

note: I am a college student as well. A very poor college student!!
Old 02-18-2012, 12:49 AM
AngelsRemorse

Save up til you need new tires. Then hit American Muscle or Tire rack for Wheel and tire packages. You can find pretty good ones for decent price.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Its Mr Yum Yum

Someone told me I could try to spray paint the rims black. But I don't know what that would look like. These are generally ugly rims since they are the stock rims.. I don't know if painting them black would just make everything worse. What do you guys think? Anyone have any pictures for reference?
Old 02-19-2012, 08:17 AM
AngelsRemorse

Doing them right by Sanding them down, primer spray paint, then "rim spray paint" they'll come out pretty decent, even do layers with the actual spray paint.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:30 AM
Its Mr Yum Yum

That doesn't look half bad at all. I'll upload a picture of my car later today. Then an after picture with the black rims. hopefully they turn out decent.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:05 PM
Its Mr Yum Yum

These are some pictures. This is the car before, original paint on rims.

This is after, All black. Sanded down, few coats of Primer, and few coats of Black Gloss paint. I have a few pictures with the caps on, these are without the caps. I'll upload those tomorrow, I may also add a few more coats of the Gloss!

The blue is the painters tape still around the rims. I left a silver/gray lip on them. I think personally they turned out pretty great!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with tires/wheels please!