V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

My mustang is acting weird

Old 03-07-2012, 07:59 PM
csmustang97

Default My mustang is acting weird

Why is my exhaust leaking water, and has very little power, and my engine is shaking more than usual. Earlier i put on new spark plug wires, a coil pack and CAI. I also tried to put on underdrive pullies but my crankshaft bolts refused to budge. Did i do something in the process of putting the pullies on, I literally drove the car before i put everything on. Somebody help!!!!
Old 03-07-2012, 09:50 PM
Crysta06

I had to replace my spark plug wires and coil pack before. My engine would shake, idle really low, skip, cut off, or even make a popping noise when i excellerated. all that just because one wire! my suggestion would be to check and make sure all your wires are firing right and that they arnt defective. As of the water out of the exhaust ive seen tons of cars do that (so im guessing that is normal unless it is an excessive amount). My other suggestion would be to take it to a machanic (not ford) or try autozone, they can plug a senser up to it and it could tell you whats wrong. thats how my machanic found out it was my spark plug wires and coil pack. Hope this helped you some! good luck!
Old 03-07-2012, 10:35 PM
csmustang97

Thank you. But I have to add its not even drivable because it is so low on power
Old 03-07-2012, 11:01 PM
Twstones
2nd Gear Member

Got a couple of spark plug wires crossed???
Old 03-08-2012, 12:32 AM
Stein

Are you losing coolant from your radiator?
Old 03-08-2012, 12:51 AM
csmustang97

No im not losing any liquids at all. im almost positive it has to do with the spark plugs now. it is doing all the things that were described in the first reply to this thread, but i have no power at all to drive, it stays on but wont drive. i have the spark plug wires plugged in differently into the coil pack than previously, i dont have all the passenger side wires on one side of the coil pack and same goes for the driver side will this make a difference.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:10 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by csmustang97
i have the spark plug wires plugged in differently into the coil pack than previously, i dont have all the passenger side wires on one side of the coil pack and same goes for the driver side will this make a difference.
The wires have to go in a specific order on the coil pack. Each tower on the coil pack corresponds to a specific cylinder. If you get them mixed up then you can have the problems your describing and potentially damage the motor. There should be numbers listed on the coil pack. Those numbers indicate which cylinder that tower is supposed to connect to.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Stein

Originally Posted by petrock
The wires have to go in a specific order on the coil pack. Each tower on the coil pack corresponds to a specific cylinder. If you get them mixed up then you can have the problems your describing and potentially damage the motor. There should be numbers listed on the coil pack. Those numbers indicate which cylinder that tower is supposed to connect to.
Agreed, that is your big problem. You may have other issues, but having the plug wires in the wrong place will cause serious problems. I asked before if you were losing coolant because water coming from the tailpipe can be a sign of a bad head gasket, and a doggish performance would support that idea. But if you are not losing coolant, and your oil and coolant look like they are supposed to, your head gasket is probably fine.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:40 AM
csmustang97

I couldn't find any numbers on my coil pack so I looked up the diagram for cylinders to coil pack wired it up the right way it has more power but still very underpowered and still making the popping noise though the excessive shaking at idle has stopped
Old 03-08-2012, 06:09 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Did you check to make sure you gapped the plugs correctly? Sometimes the smallest details are a pain in the ***. Its worth taking the plugs out, the wires off, and checking everything again.

Matthew

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My mustang is acting weird