V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Sequential Tail Light Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 10:09 PM
Paix Wolf

Lmao, yea, it might cause a short, I would just ask him if you can trade him a new EP27 flasher for a modded one cause he charges 20 for the modded one but the ep27 is a 16 unmodded
Old 03-16-2012, 12:06 PM
HellSWAT

Sadly if your sequential is a little erratic, It is caused by the hazard switch which is pointed out on the troubleshooting on the paper you got from gtconcepts. It seems that the flasher switch passes through the hazards before it hits the lights. I did add WD-40 to see if it works and so far, the erratic has been minimized. gtconcepts gave me this solution and I quote " just sprayed a squirt all the way around the square button and worked the switch 10-20 times, repeat 3-4 times and that usually does it."

I only did the step once so I'm going to finish each step every week. I'm wondering if other sequential kits are the same... does the erratic blinking happened to other kits?
Old 03-16-2012, 12:10 PM
Paix Wolf

I dunno, he told me the same thing at first and after 2 days of trying it still didn't work. Then new flasher made them work perfectly so mine could just have a blown capacitor or something, I'm going to take it apart this weekend.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:04 PM
Elan

Default Just my opinion

I can't verify this, but I have a background in electronics so I'm going to make an educated guess...

Like I posted before, after I put the kit in, my turn signals were erratic... Usually only firing one or two lights... Before I tried anything else, I happened to modify (slow down) the flasher... After that my lights started working as they should...

Now the guessing part... You have these sequencer modules that have one pluse in (from the flasher) and three pulses out (one for each bulb)

So the way it's designed to work is:
Flasher in, light 1, light 2, light 3, flasher in, light 1, light 2, light 3... and so on

But what will the sequencer do if a new flasher pulse arrives before all 3 light pulses have been sent? Flasher in, light 1, flasher in... Will it still try to send the light 2 pulse? Will it send a light 1 pulse at the same time? I suspect it becomes erratic and could send all kinds of erratic pulses...

If I remember right, my hazard lights were working, just not the turn signals... Why would they work? Don't really know... Two loads on the flasher instead of one maybe? Just a wild guess...

Might some other sequencers not be so erratic? Sure... But when I ordered the kit, I much preferred spending $50 instead of $100... (Sorry, I'm cheap)

Could the hazard switch cause the lights to be erratic? I was impressed with the directions GT Concepts had and I suspect he wouldn't have mentioned the hazard switch unless he's seen it cause problems many times...

But based on what happened to me, I'd guess you pretty much HAVE TO slow down the flasher... So if you know how to solder, or know someone who does, go get the extra capacitor and modify the flasher before doing the other stuff...

But remember... this is only my opinion... I've only installed the kit once...
So I'm no expert...
Old 03-16-2012, 08:02 PM
HellSWAT

I read your post early on when you modded your flasher and and if you read my post #24, then you would also know I've slowed mine too with the help of your links. Sadly I feel like giving up soon... Nothing is fixing the erratic lights... The last solution is to buy a new modified flasher and if that doesn't work... then I might as well get rid of everything... I will be posting up a video soon to show gtconcepts... Lets hope he can solve my problem.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:18 PM
Paix Wolf

Well guess what:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YeM3...o36TtOTfIDvEg=

My tail lights aren't working when I hit the breaks, now they aren't even lighting up. None of my fuses are blown and the rest of the sequences work, i tried switching flashers and it still isn't working.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:24 AM
HellSWAT

Funny that I'm giving up on my car and your car is giving up on you lol... I hope if we ever fix our problems that people buying this **** will find these post useful :-P
Old 03-17-2012, 07:28 AM
Elan

Originally Posted by HellSWAT
Funny that I'm giving up on my car and your car is giving up on you lol... I hope if we ever fix our problems that people buying this **** will find these post useful :-P
It really sucks that you guys can't get the lights working right...

I should apologize too... When I made my post, I wasn't trying to tell you guys that would fix it for you... It was more aimed at anyone who buys this kit...

Obviously it won't always fix the problems... And I didn't mean to say it would...

If it was me, I'd be trying to see if GT would give you a refund and go buy the more expensive ones... And now I'm going to be paranoid about my lights
Old 03-17-2012, 07:37 AM
Elan

Default More input

I forgot to ask this...

Some of you reading this must have modified your lights...

Give us some feedback please...

What kit you used, any problems you had, etc....
Old 03-17-2012, 11:19 AM
Paix Wolf

As far as the break lights, since the hazards are working and the signals are working and they do that no matter what flasher I put on, I think it's my break switch, the guy at GTconcepts has confirmed this. So I looked at mine, the moron that owned the car before me cut the wire or something and wrapped it in electrical tape, so that's probably what's wrong. I'll know in a few hours since I'll be going out there and replacing my Rack and Pinion in a little bit.

Quick Reply: Sequential Tail Light Help