V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Help on making my 3.8 auto faster?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 09:22 PM
purepk507

Default Help on making my 3.8 auto faster?

If anyone could give me some ideas on how to make my car alot quicker, money is not a problem and i already know things such as turbo or supercharger. but could you name anything else that will add extra hp, that will be greatly appreciated! Name a list of things i plan on making my car really quick
Old 03-10-2012, 10:43 PM
ramair351
1st Gear Member

3.73 or 4.10 gears, and an sct tuner for starters, then a good exhaust. then you can do a turbo or supercharger
Old 03-10-2012, 11:56 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Stickerz

Oh.... And the search button, btw welcome to the forums.

Last edited by NeoTokyo; 03-10-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:36 AM
purepk507

Thank you for the replies and what do you mean by stickers? and the search? what do i search sorry im a newb on forums. :P
Old 03-11-2012, 12:43 AM
purepk507

I already bought the car and the guy told me it has 4:10 gears, full exhaust system from the headers to the cat's to the tips. also has a cold air intake. another quick question i live in new york and im about to drive to ohio its roughly 9 hours. I read driving with 4:10 gear's is bad and you will lose alot of mpg?
Old 03-11-2012, 05:27 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Using the search function will help you alot, you can get questions answered a lot quicker that way.

Stickerz' is just a joke, a stab at ricers.

4.10's arent that bad, just drive easy and you wont really notice enough to **** you off about its fuel economy. The gears will actually help your in town driving.

It sounds like its a pretty good setup so far but I really hope he gave you the tuner with the car or it has a chip otherwise one dead battery could cause a whole host of problems for you.

Your speedo is corrected for the 4.10's by the tuner and if he has the rear O2 sensors turned off those too are turned on/off by the tuner.

The tuner would probably be a SCT or Diablo handheld tuner but could be other brands too or a chip.

Give the guy a call back to figure out exactly what it is, if you have it and if he has a backup tune for the car if it was custom, which if he turned the rear O2's off its going to be custom, but we dont know yet if he did, be sure to ask him.

Do you know if the car has catalytic converters still? If so, how many and are they stock, OE spec or high flows?

When buying a car that has already been modded it is really imported to get a log book of what has been done to the car, that way if anything ever happens you know what to do like loading the tune back up.

If he has no tune for the car and never has then you should buy a tuner so that you can change your gear ratio to 4.10 and fix your speedo issue, there is an issue if no tuner is present to correct this in your 2003.

You can also adjust several settings for your auto trans and make the car much more responsive.

Do you have any pics or videos that you can upload of your car?

The way to insert photos is to put your direct photo link in between the bars.

[img][/img]

Please try to keep your photos no larger than 1024x768

Otherwise, sounds like a good start to a lot of fun.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:15 PM
purepk507

I have no way of getting ahold of the guy anymore, but he gave me no tuner and idk if it has a chip. And i dont know anything but what i told you any ideas on how to check?. I'm just starting out with american muscle and am really excited. i am taking a video at the moment. then i will upload soon
Old 03-11-2012, 12:36 PM
purepk507

View My Video
View My Video

Old 03-11-2012, 12:44 PM
green232
1st Gear Member

you may in your case need to go to a ford performance or dealer and have them read the full ecu and see what all is been messed with in the tuning.. and you need to by a tuner for the chip/tune that is on there and have someone make you a tune so that you have one for safe keepings like mentioned above, a dead battery and you could be in a bad way.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:03 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Yup, since he did not provide you with a tuner you will need one.
Like Green said, a dealership can check if there is a tune/chip on it right now.

Your Mustang is VERY nice, care to share how much you paid for her and how many miles she has?

Really, your car is visually at the point that many wish they could be at.

It looks like you have an American Muscle CAI.
Also it sounds like you have a vacuum leak.

Also try to make a straight path for the air to go through in your CAI, its bending a bit at the MAF.

Otherwise you have a clean car with several mods done but still have room to do more if you want.

Quick Reply: Help on making my 3.8 auto faster?