V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

99 mustang catalytic converter advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 10:17 AM
MyCarIsBadLuck

Angry 99 mustang catalytic converter advice

New to forum, but hoping to get some good advice on a problematic mustang I purchased.

99 Mustang V6 3.8L. Got bad catalytic converters. Made the mistake of driving it for a while, now I think the catalytic converters are clogging. Gas mileage is dropping through the floor, I'm guessing as a result of back pressure in the exhaust system reducing efficiency. I'm worried if I drive it any more I'm going to blow the head gasket.

All that to say I need to get this fixed ASAP. Was quoted approx. $1239 for the complete system plus tax and labor to $1415 for a complete install. That seems high. So couple questions:

How much should a complete install cost? How technically challenging is it to do the exhaust work myself? I have a good amount of tools but no welding capabilities. I was looking online and found several places selling exhausts for $600 or so. Would any of these be an easy install/work for me?

http://www.discountcatalyticconverte...e-$500 - $1000

Finally, if I can't get to fixing it for another day or two, is there any easy way to safely relieve the back pressure (tapping a small hole in the exhaust above the catalytic converters just as a temporary fix?)

Any good advice would be greatly appreciated. I really like the mustang but its been nothing but a maintenance pain since I bought it.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:28 PM
brad2130
1st Gear Member

WOW. THATS HORRIABLE. To be honest with you. go to your local muffler shop. they sell magnaflow hi-flow cats for 120-150$ a peice. i wouldnt imagine more then 300$ for the entire cat set up. Trust me. Their ripping you off. I have a 99 mustang v6 to. my cats got stopped up. Well instead of buying new ones (didn't have the money, nor do i like them.) Depending on how strict emission laws are in your area. You can have your post cats removed, and for less then 4$ you can create your own dumby 02 sensors, so your car won't run to rich.

http://www.paladinmicro.com/MustangMILEliminator.htm

Go to this website. They've done an excellent job of listing step by step directions on how to do it, it's really simple.

If not. Have the local shop remove your post cats, or pre cats. depending on whats stopped up and have them weld you in 2 hi-flow cats. that will be cheaper then replacements. Better flow, more power, AND more mpg.

i run a complete o/r exhaust system. I never worry about buying new cats, and when i drive it easy, i get between 22-26 mpg on my tune.

also check this out..just to give you an idea of how much cats cost so your not getting ripped off here!...

http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnaflow/642/...0002/-1?CT=999

Check it out. BAM 200$ at your door. NEW CATS from Magnaflow (remember they specialize in this krap) have a local shop weld them in.

Trust me, It'll save you tons! Expensive shops like that, don't care about you, just youre moo-la.

FOR A TEMP FIX, I would recommend cutting them at the front half way through. DON'T DRIVE it like it is. They'll melt down, and then you'll have more damages lol. and itll cost more then a few hundred...trust me...my silverado died because of that.