V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Yes its another cat question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 05:02 PM
cbrysoncarter

Default Yes its another cat question

When I had my exhaust work, a true dual system, done a couple of months back. I was told that one of my cats sounded like it was going bad. I have noticed since then that it is starting to act worse. I am looking at replacing it, but the shops that I have talked to here says that it will be cheaper for me to get the item and bring it to them to install. I was also told that sometimes the "universal" cats aren't always the best thing. I have shopped and shopped for a replacement, but what I am seeing is basically a large section that goes from the headers down. They appear to have 4 seperate cats within the system. I haven't crawled under the car to dig into the exhaust, but I am assuming that this is how the factory is set. I have also see some that have just 2 cats and only the pre-cat O2 bung. I am trying to get some positive input or feedback from some of you guys that have had to change yours out too. Most of what I am seeing is in the neighborhood of $600. I am trying to lessen this if possible. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:51 PM
cbrysoncarter

Well no luck there. Hmm. Another possible option, again would appreciate feedback...and yes I have searched and searched. In regards to LT headers for a 3.8/3.9, I am required to do emmission tests, well not right now cause of the county that I am in, but if I move, most likely I would. I know that there are the LT headers thave have the egr connection and a O2 spot on them. Could I look at getting some high flow cats and have them put on after the header...then run back from there? Again, I would have to probably have something fabricated for a rear O2 sensor rather than buying a h/x pipe cause I currently have true dual all the way back. Most of what I have seen with the LT headers is no cats, but I can't risk that. Again, any input?
Old 03-23-2012, 05:57 PM
stangant
5th Gear Member

you can always get the lt's and have the pre-cat and cat's taken off and just have them put in 2 straight pipes to plug into the rest of the system or get 2 replacement cat's from your local parts store and have those welded in. I have no idea about emission testing so can't comment on that aspect.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:47 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

my old 6er had LTs and high flows welded in after the collector, and with MILS passed MA emissions "sniff" test.

dynomax, pypes, magnaflow, etc all make high flow cats that should suit you well, im not a fan of an O/R set up, and high flows are a nice comprimise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae3hI...YaXGWDRQc-uLc=

Old 03-26-2012, 06:27 PM
cbrysoncarter

I think that is what I am going to do. I know that the LTs I am looking at have the O2 bung already so I am probably going to talk to the shop and ask them if they can specialize one for me after some high flow cats to hook the rears up to. I would still probably come out better in the end, cost wise, to do that rather than buy the replacement cat system and have it mounted.

Does anyone know if the MIL deletes cause issues going through emissions? I know I have to load my stock tune back in, but I prefer...just to be safe...to run them...just in case.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:28 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

MILS will pass emissions if you have to plug the car in
Old 07-26-2012, 12:20 PM
cbrysoncarter

So I got a set of pacesetter armor coated longtubes and a set of pypes high flow cats. I tried to get some input from people in the area for who should do the work, but never got a response. I took it to a local shop that did service work as well and their engine guy stated that he could do it. Well, I dropped off my car yesterday morning at 8am and unfortunately it is still there. They said that they have been having issues with the passenger side and that they are hoping to have the headers done today, but might be tomorrow. UGH! they still have to weld the cats into place but he said that should only take him about an hour or so. Again, still without my car. Having to carpool with the wifey in her g6 gtp....damn I miss my stang!!!
Old 07-26-2012, 01:38 PM
03shadow
5th Gear Member

as far as i know the pacesetter long tubes dont have the egr bung on them, so you may have to delete the egr to get them to work, unless they are putting a bung on the headers for it to work (yes its on the passenger side). deleting the egr will cause some tuning and emissions issues though. the MAC headers come with the bung already
Old 07-26-2012, 01:45 PM
cbrysoncarter

Well fortunately for me pacesetter makes the longtube both with and without the egr connection. The ones that I got have them and the O2 sensor bungs as well. My cats even have the O2 on the backside so hopefully I am set. The shop is just having issued getting it in on that passanger side cause there is no room to work. I tried to tell them to remove the front wheel and splash and to remove the trans mount and kinda push it to the drivers side to allow more working room. But hey, they're the mechanics not me...my advice dont mean $h!+
Old 07-26-2012, 01:48 PM
03shadow
5th Gear Member

ok i wasnt aware that pacesetter made them with the egr connection, its good that you got those ones! long tubes can be a real pain to do, I did mine myself, but have an aftermarket k-member so it made fitting it a little easier. stock k-member will make it more of a challenge. they may be trying to raise and lower the engine to try to get them in

Quick Reply: Yes its another cat question