V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

This is what happens when you rebuild an engine wrong..

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 01:32 PM
Danielsmustang
2nd Gear Member

Default This is what happens when you rebuild an engine wrong..

ok, this is probably my last post as this car is getting me to the point where i want to blow it up. Im going to explain everything, for those who don't know the tragic story of my stang. i had messed up the oil pan around a month back. i decided it was time to to everything i wanted done to the car ( which wasn't much) so i dropped the engine, dropped the tranny. Replaced the oil pan, replaced the throwout bearing. When i was tightening up the headers, one of the bolts had broken. so my neighbor, which is a mustang fanatic, had told me to fix it because i was going to have an exhaust leak. so i decided to drill the bolt and de tap the thread. In our attempt to do so, it passed the bolt and broke through the head. i didnt realize this. We put the engine back and everything was working fine besides the point that the car was overheating and throwing out water through the header bolt. So off comes the heads. I got a new head, took both heads to the shop, had a valve job and resurfaced. I put everything back, and the car started but soon died. We thought it was an air leak because the lower intake had three broken bolts ( the ones that tighten the upper to the lower). So i took them to the shop, had them remove it, and yesterday i put everything back. i turned the engine and it doesnt want to start. BUT when it does, it dies after like 3 seconds of idleing. It has a bad shake right after the engine dies. And if i touch the gas pedal it dies instantly. Could it be a sensor? a big *** vacuum leak? or something mechanicaly? because truthfully, i heard the engine make some noises that didnt sound quite proper. I cant describe it but i know it wasnt healthy. But when the car idles, it idles fine, but after 3 seconds it dies. its not fuel or timing. So maybe, electrical? or vacuum? or mechanical? I mean i dont see how it could be mechanical as the rockers where tighten to 28lbs of torque which is spec. so if you have any idea please help me out. I need to have this car up by this week, and im literally about to just cut my losses and call it a day.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:17 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I'd say you have a sensor out of some kind.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:28 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

You sure it is not fuel. My uncles car was doing the same thing. It would run for a few seconds and stall. It turned out he had a bad fuel pump.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:28 PM
Danielsmustang
2nd Gear Member

Lmao....Okay turns out, i shouldve waited for my neighbor to give it a better look. Turns out...that i had the car jacked up on one side. It never crossed my mind. He told me to jack it down because the car has a safety sensor or something, that when it doesnt feel any oil, it doesnt stay on. Once we dropped the car, it was running like a sweetheart. Thanks for the input though. I forgot to mention that little detail lmao.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:32 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Glad to see it was nothing major
Old 03-28-2012, 06:05 PM
coldoath

Haha dang well that's good to hear!!
Old 03-30-2012, 09:27 AM
Danielsmustang
2nd Gear Member

lol, i did notice something though, my car is running waaaaaaay stronger than before. i dont have the muffler connected to the ypipe. i took off two of four cats. maybe thats affecting performance? or maybe its just that the heads are new? anyways I love how it sounds. I might put a video up. Its a shame that i have to sell it this weekend after all the hard work.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:57 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Good to hear that you got it all straightened out.