V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

1996 mustang not always starting up

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 08:32 PM
weisemanjohn

Default 1996 mustang not always starting up

Hello, I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue and if so, what the problem was.

My mustang will occasionally (with increasing frequency) crank over, but not start up. I have taken it into the shop several times, but they can not find any issues.

I have had lots of work done on it to keep it running including replacing a head gasket, valve job, replaced radiator, replaced water pump, replaced master cylinder for break line, rewired cable harness all due to age. I am unsure of how many miles are on it, but the odometer broke at 156k.

thank you for the help.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:18 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by weisemanjohn
REWIRED CABLE HARNESS
go over any wires and connections to the ignition and fuel system, my guess is there is a loose connection or ground somewhere for the fuel or spark.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:17 AM
weisemanjohn

Originally Posted by BabyGT
go over any wires and connections to the ignition and fuel system, my guess is there is a loose connection or ground somewhere for the fuel or spark.
I have, the other problem is that once it has started, it runs fine and if I give it a few hours before trying again, it will start up immediately. A loose connection shouldn't settle back into place overnight and stay in while driving should it?

I've also had the anti-theft disengaged in case that's the problem, but it wasn't.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:09 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Your car is nearly as old as my 5.0 and you should expect a lot of odd ball issues just like that. My 5.0 has a similar issue. It will start up strong when cold, but once driven or when hot, it will crank nicely, but will start up with a sluggish start and die, or won't start at all. Once it cools down it cranks right up.

It did this with an old motor and a brand new one with a lot of new parts including a new ECU. I've narrowed the problem down to a handful of possibilites, and like you most shops are clueless as to the solution.

Now my case is different that yours, especially considering you're lucky enough to have an OBDII system and not the junky old OBDI.

The problem is likely sensor related but could also be caused by a bad wire or ground somewhere.

A few sensors for you to look over would be the idel air control sensor, throttle position senor, egr sensor, and temperature sensors. The temperature control sensor, if defective will cause tons of odd ball issues, and that's the one I'm thinking of is wrong with my car and may be a point of interest in yours.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:26 PM
weisemanjohn

Originally Posted by jthorn9
Your car is nearly as old as my 5.0 and you should expect a lot of odd ball issues just like that. My 5.0 has a similar issue. It will start up strong when cold, but once driven or when hot, it will crank nicely, but will start up with a sluggish start and die, or won't start at all. Once it cools down it cranks right up.

It did this with an old motor and a brand new one with a lot of new parts including a new ECU. I've narrowed the problem down to a handful of possibilites, and like you most shops are clueless as to the solution.

Now my case is different that yours, especially considering you're lucky enough to have an OBDII system and not the junky old OBDI.

The problem is likely sensor related but could also be caused by a bad wire or ground somewhere.

A few sensors for you to look over would be the idel air control sensor, throttle position senor, egr sensor, and temperature sensors. The temperature control sensor, if defective will cause tons of odd ball issues, and that's the one I'm thinking of is wrong with my car and may be a point of interest in yours.
thank you, I'll probably be taking it back into the shop today and i'll mention these
Old 03-29-2012, 03:59 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Yeah I hope it's one of those for you. If not then I'm at a loss. Only other thing it could be is ignition related. I know you said you changed everything or had it looked over. But sometimes lemons are made. But have those things I mentioned looked over.