V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

New kid on the block, with another exhaust question.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:26 AM
deathcomesarippin

Default New kid on the block, with another exhaust question.

Hey everybody, im new here. I just picked up my mustang for an awesome price, and my finger are itching to do some mods.

The first thing I want to do is some exhuast. Im going to keep it single but im going to run 2.5 inch exhuast from the y pipe. Does anybody have a stock exhuast diagram, I was going to do this myslef, but as I got under the car I see right where the pipe meets the muffler, there is two small bends. id like to know the degrees of the bends, to see if I can do this myself. I might end up taking it to a shop... but that might be a little pricey?

Also im still debating if I should go with a low deep sounding dynomax turbo muffler, or a thrush muffler. Anybody have any good sound clips?
Old 04-09-2012, 07:28 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

If you are simply keeping a single and Y I wouldn't bother. you'll get no benefit from it and waste cash. That's just my 2c so don't take it wrong.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:41 PM
deathcomesarippin

Originally Posted by Daehawk
If you are simply keeping a single and Y I wouldn't bother. you'll get no benefit from it and waste cash. That's just my 2c so don't take it wrong.
I know what your saying, but I acutally found a setup I like better. Right after the manifolds meet, put a glasspack and a turn down. It should be better than the stock setup, maybe ading 2 or 3 horsepower. Thats really all im looking for, I also dont feel like paying for one of those overly priced dual setups.

you can look at the setup here, http://techweasel.blogsome.com/2009/03/07/retrolicious/
Old 04-13-2012, 01:41 PM
micahk2

I have a 4inch turn-down on mine...Sounds really good compared to the duals. Duals sound too much like coke cans to me. Suggestion though. If you get the turn-down, Id suggest getting the hi-flo cats from American Muscle. My friend has a 3inch turn-down and put those on there and it sounds mean. As good if not better than a standard GT exhaust. The pipe itself was only about $180 (I know a guy). Not too sure what it is exactly because I didnt do any of the work myself, just know its a Flowmaster. Hope that gives you a little insight.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:57 AM
deathcomesarippin

Yeah, I dont like how duals sound at all. Your right haha they sound like you just stuck some over sized coke cans on the car. Ill leave the stock cats on there. If anything Ill get bored and gut them, but they probably dont flow that bad, id be afraid gutting them would give a negative affect to pack pressure.

I have all the piping, I just got to weld the pipes to the glasspack and find a flange so Ill be able to bolt it up to the stock exhuast.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:35 AM
mustangmike09
2nd Gear Member

no just no 0_o

Duals ...

Their are so many different options I dont know why your saying this coke can **** ?

Divorced, H, X, Pro; mid pipes make a HUGE difference in the way it will sound as well as mufflers choice.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:12 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Also I thought in order to pass inspection the exhaust had to exhaust from under the car at least passed the door.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:44 PM
mustangmike09
2nd Gear Member

well dump it at the rear axle or at the bumper. Dumps can be where ever you want them.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:06 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BabyGT
Also I thought in order to pass inspection the exhaust had to exhaust from under the car at least passed the door.
exhaust must exit in the stock location
Old 04-15-2012, 03:07 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Okay well I at least knew it had to exit from under the car to pass visual inspection. It's also ticketable in most states. You can get away with duals because there was a version (gt) that came with duals factory.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New kid on the block, with another exhaust question.