V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

CAI Question ** Sorry For The Post **

Old 04-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Mustangsz
1st Gear Member

Default CAI Question ** Sorry For The Post **

Hi another question. I got a 3.8L 2000 Mustang and i never owned one before i only had a 4.3L S10. im just wondering can you just buy a filter and put it on the mustang or would u have to go and buy the whole tubing etc..
Old 04-10-2012, 04:23 PM
TastefulNudity

On the 3.8L Mustangs, people have stated that replacing the stock air filter with a K&N drop-in replacement and removing the silencer (the snorkle that reaches down in to the fenderwell) gives just as much gain as a full-fledged CAI at more than half the price (I got mine at AutoZone for about $55)
Old 04-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Mustangsz
1st Gear Member

so this is what i dont get though because i never worked on a ford and on my old chevy i just took the old air box out and just stuck a filter on the end and pluggd in the 02 sensors ... is it fairly the same with a mustang.. sorry im a noob ):
Old 04-10-2012, 04:32 PM
TastefulNudity

It's been a while since I took out my air filter but AFAIK there are two or three clips that hold the air box together. It opens up in to two pieces (one attatched to the engine, one leading down to the fenderwell), and you can just pull the air filter out and put the new one in. The snorkel can just be pulled out of the fenderwell, and it's been sitting in my garage for months. No real need for it.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:34 PM
Mustangsz
1st Gear Member

i went out an hr ago and found the 2 clips so that just pulls out then the fender part pulls out correct? and i can just put a filter on the end right?
Old 04-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Eleanor62

so this is what i dont get though because i never worked on a ford and on my old chevy i just took the old air box out and just stuck a filter on the end and pluggd in the 02 sensors
Old 04-10-2012, 08:14 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Go to autozone/advance/napa ect.....
Tell them you want an air filter for whatever year your car is. Tell them you want a direct replacement k&n. Swap the filter in the car now for the k&n. While your changing your filter you will see the soft rubber thing that comes off your intake and goes inside the fender area. Just pop that off and toss it in your garage. Search silencer removal. That's what it's called.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:19 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Here's a write up on removal of silencer
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/intke.htm
Old 04-11-2012, 05:32 AM
Mustangsz
1st Gear Member

ok doesnt look to hard so you guys wouldnt bother getting 1 of those ebay intakes do you? should i just take the silencer off and stick a k&n filter on the end of it?... would this give me more HP then a ebay cai? thanks for all the help guys
Old 04-11-2012, 08:11 AM
slonison
1st Gear Member

You're literally looking at the difference between 1-2 hp... between a CAI and a K&N Filter Swap...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CAI Question ** Sorry For The Post **