V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Non fogging/hazing headlights?

Old 04-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Angry Non fogging/hazing headlights?

So does anyone have headlights that do not haze over? Ive only had my new headlighs for about 2-3 years and I can hardly see into them because they have already yellowed over. It makes my ok looking car look like crap. How do Smoked Headlights hold up? Do they haze over? Im thinking about the Smoked Cobra Style Headlights from AM.com
http://www.americanmuscle.com/smoked...ghts-9498.html

Thanks,
Matthew
Old 04-23-2012, 12:15 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Just bought smoked am headlights for the 99, silaconed them and so far so good, the 02 had stockers and weren't to bad when I sold it at 90k
Old 04-23-2012, 01:04 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

There are a couple you can try but they can be repaired with a $20 dollar 3M headlight resto kit. After using the kit just wax your headlights monthly.
I like the OE style Cobra headlights myself, just keep them waxed.

The best way to go is with the glass headlights by APC.

Your corner markers will still be plastic but the headlights will be glass.
They are the projector style and a little ugly but they still work well.

APC Glass Headlights

Old 04-23-2012, 11:21 AM
mustang99v6
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
So does anyone have headlights that do not haze over? Ive only had my new headlighs for about 2-3 years and I can hardly see into them because they have already yellowed over. It makes my ok looking car look like crap. How do Smoked Headlights hold up? Do they haze over? Im thinking about the Smoked Cobra Style Headlights from AM.com

Thanks,
Matthew

Yea, with all aftermarket lights you should silicone the edges real good. That keeps out the elements which damage & pit the lenses from the inside out. For the outside, do a scratch and buff, it works real well and will hold up for a year or two usually.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

I like the APC lights as they are glass and wont fade (correct?) But your right they are ugly. How about APCs with a DIY blackout/tint. Yes or no?
Matthew
Old 04-24-2012, 04:32 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

The yellowing/hazing is the effect of the sun/elements on the plastic. You can't really prevent it. You can only manage or ignore it. There are a ton of kits available to clean them up, but they all boil down to a couple sheets of sand paper at different grits and some plastic polish. You can pick one up at your local autoparts store. Takes about 20 minutes per headlight by hand. Even less if you pick up a kit that goes onto a power drill. There are also a ton of video's online on how to do it yourself.

As for tinted, I think they look cool but I wouldn't use them. I do alot of night driving and being able to see where I'm going is a must. If memory serves, someone on here posted up a side by side comparison between tinted headlights and stock and there was a very noticeable difference in light output. Not to mention the tinted headlights are also plastic so they will also haze/yellow over time. However, it is your ride so do with it what you want...
Old 04-24-2012, 03:16 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

That is correct, the APC headlights will never fade because they are glass.

As PetRock pointed out, tinting isnt the best thing on a driver. If you really must then you can get tinted sheets and put them on. At least you can remove them if you dont like the light output. I forget the brand that you use a heatgun/hair dryer on to help it mold around the headlight.

Either way, glass is the ultimate fix but at an ugly factor cost.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:14 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Agreed that glass is ugly thats why I wanted to tint it. Kinda cover over the ugly factor.

Matthew
Old 04-24-2012, 11:50 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NeoTokyo
That is correct, the APC headlights will never fade because they are glass.

As PetRock pointed out, tinting isnt the best thing on a driver. If you really must then you can get tinted sheets and put them on. At least you can remove them if you dont like the light output. I forget the brand that you use a heatgun/hair dryer on to help it mold around the headlight.

Either way, glass is the ultimate fix but at an ugly factor cost.
Tinting any light is also completely illegal and you can be automatically faulted in an accident with them, it's why I ordered stock lights
Old 04-25-2012, 07:31 AM
ahjjones

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang

Thanks,
Matthew
Don't buy those!!! I bought them and the fit is terrible! I'm getting Ford OEM Cobra style headlights as soon as I can. The gasket on the AM ones doesn't even sit flush with the body. It looks really bad and cheap!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Non fogging/hazing headlights?