V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Loud tapping noise when in gear at low rpm. please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 09:26 PM
brynnanfox

Default Loud tapping noise when in gear at low rpm. please help

I have a 2000 Ford Mustang 3.8 V6 with around 87,000 miles. When my car is at operating temperature and only when the engine is under load i have a loud tapping noise. It doesnt do it when idling or when in park or neutral. It also doesnt do it when engine is cold. The car has to be warmed up and in gear. If i push on my brakes in drive and just barely push and hold down the gas pedal it is very loud. The more gas i give it, the sound becomes more faint. If im driving 20+ mph i cant even hear it. Also, if the belt is removed or the tension of the belt is adjusted, the tapping goes away completely. Its really driving me crazy and any help would be gladly appreciated. Im just hoping its not a rod knock.
thanks
Old 04-24-2012, 09:27 PM
brynnanfox

Also forgot to mention its an automatic
Old 04-24-2012, 10:26 PM
BLKSTANGER
2nd Gear Member

You might try taking the belt off and spin everything that is driven by it. One of the components has to be the noise. I'd check the water pump first.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:50 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

If taking the belt off makes it stop, it's obviously something there. Idler pulley, alternator, water pump, power steering, or tensioner.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:15 AM
brynnanfox

thanks for the quick responses. i appreciate it.
i also failed to mention that i had a new water pump put on a couple of months ago because i was told that could be the problem. so the water pump can be ruled out i think. as soon as i get off work today ill remove the belt and check everything one at a time. ill let ya know what i find. again guys i appreciate the help. im not very good with cars. im better with a computer. haha
Old 10-31-2014, 07:54 AM
art beau

i got the same problem, 2000 3.8 noise low rpm but mind only makes noise when its in drive and you turn the wheel im puzzeled
Old 10-31-2014, 09:36 AM
BlindGUYnAR
2nd Gear Member

I had a similar problem on an older Chevy pickup. Only in gear and under load. In that case the bolts that attach the flywheel to the Tourqe Converter had backed out a bit. I took off the inspection cover and removed them one at a time adding thread locker and reinstalling the rotating the engine by hand to the next bolt.

I also had similar symptoms happen on a 07 f150. In that case the trans had gotten pretty hot at one point and the tourqe converter had swelled a bit. It only was heard after warm up, but didn't matter it in/out of gear or load/no load it was heard after warm up.

You should be able to have someone inside the car hold the car with e-brake and foot brakes on under slight load and lay beside, NOT under, car and be able to tell if it is coming from there though. For that matter you could stand at the side of the engine, NOT in front, bay and get a pretty general idea of the location to investigate further. Front, back, top, bottom type of location.

Last edited by BlindGUYnAR; 10-31-2014 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:30 PM
302Travis
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlindGUYnAR
I had a similar problem on an older Chevy pickup. Only in gear and under load. In that case the bolts that attach the flywheel to the Tourqe Converter had backed out a bit. I took off the inspection cover and removed them one at a time adding thread locker and reinstalling the rotating the engine by hand to the next bolt.

I also had similar symptoms happen on a 07 f150. In that case the trans had gotten pretty hot at one point and the tourqe converter had swelled a bit. It only was heard after warm up, but didn't matter it in/out of gear or load/no load it was heard after warm up.

You should be able to have someone inside the car hold the car with e-brake and foot brakes on under slight load and lay beside, NOT under, car and be able to tell if it is coming from there though. For that matter you could stand at the side of the engine, NOT in front, bay and get a pretty general idea of the location to investigate further. Front, back, top, bottom type of location.
Good way to find it. I may also add that if you want a very handy tool you can buy a mechanic stepthoscope for like 10-15 bucks at most auto parts stores. Then after you narrow down what area to look at in the way blindguy said, you could stay on either side of the car with a buddy using the brake and gas to make the noise, and listen to specific parts such as the idler pullies with the stethoscope. JUST MAKE SURE YOU PLACE THE END ON THE BOLT THAT DOESNT TURN!! NEVER use it on any moving piece of any system.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:35 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Gonna move this over the to the v6 section for ya
Old 11-07-2014, 07:57 AM
art beau

Default engine tapping noise

I have the same problem 2000 3.8 aut. when in drive bring up ideal a little and noise come from front of engine
could you tell me how you fixed it ?

Quick Reply: Loud tapping noise when in gear at low rpm. please help