V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

C.A.R.B and/or CA Legal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 02:08 PM
mwbrady

Default C.A.R.B and/or CA Legal?

Ive got BBK Shorty Headers with EGR on my 2000 3.8, i've read that these headers are NOT legal in California. But i've also read they are due to the EGR. Can anyone confirm or deny if these headers are legal or not? Also can anyone steer me to either a C.A.R.B/ CA Legal Cold Air Intake so i can get this smog test done. Im in the military and just came to California from Hawaii, and now i have to deal with the emission laws. BIG BIG head ache.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:41 PM
mwbrady

Just found out from BBK themselves these exact headers are still awaiting approval. So until then im screwed for the smog test.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:02 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Last i heard the BBK shorties are CARB legal. Its easy to find out. Look at the headers and see if they have a CARB label with numbers. As for the CAI - MAC makes one that is CARB legal.

Matthew
Old 05-01-2012, 01:11 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

BBK told him they aren't approved yet, sucky.
I have a set of great coneition stock manifolds from a 2000 if you want to pick them up from me. Straight trade for the BBK's or cash, doesn't matter. I am in Redding so not too far away.

As for a carb legal CAI you could go with a FIPK from K&N, they are 50 state legal.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:18 PM
traxiii

The BBK CAI is CARB CA legal. I just checked and have a copy of the E.O.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:48 AM
pfc_gomez
1st Gear Member

We should have a California smog/legal parts Thread. That way anyone with question on what CAI, exhausts, headers, and so on can purchase to stay legal in California.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:53 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I feel bad for you guys out in CA there like **** with there emissions and inspectionrequirements.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:37 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Its not a bad thing, it helps keep the air cleaner.

Having lived in the midwest (Springfield Mo.) I have seen how ****ty the sky is due in part to no smog rules.

Springfield has about 160,000 people and nothing around it for miles and miles.
The light filtering down to the ground is so drab and yellow brown and you never have true blue skies out there.

Having photography as my passion I notice this kind of thing where many others do not.

Coming back home to California was like taking a set of sun glasses off (Which I then put back on ~BRIGHT~ lol)

Now lets go up to Sacramento where I stayed about a week before coming up to Redding. (I lived in Sacramento for a few years before moving to Mo.)
The population of Sacramento County alone is 1,421,959 people (2010) and the Suburbs of Sac County cross over other county lines like Placer County, El Dorado County, Amador County, San Joaquin County, Solano, Yolo and Sutter Counties.

There are millions and millions of people in and around Sacramento County.

The Sky is Bluer, the light isnt as dulled and yellowed, the air is cleaner and it doesnt smell like they are burning corpses all the time! (Very little regulation for cremation in Springfield.)

Granted Sacramento has its bad days during the summer (Like most places do) it still isnt as bad as Springfield Missouri.

There is something like 15x the people in Sacramento County and in the immediate area's of surrounding counties than there is in all of Greene County (Springfield Mo.) and yet the air is worse there.

Now Fast Forward to Redding, to a population of about 90,000 and the sky is even cleaner but on some days during the summer has been rated at 3rd worst in the country due to being cupped in mountains at the very top of the valley. It just depends if we have good winds that summer or not. Those "Bad" days havnt happened for a few years though and I know they started smogging diesels out here. Redding was still better than Springfield.

Now I went up into the Trinity Alps a bit west of Redding and WOW, I havnt seen sky like that forever. It rates right up there with Montant when I lived there as a kid for about 6 or 7 months.

So anyways, dont knock smog laws just because you cant add all the performance parts you want to your car and blindly pollute the air. These laws have their place and I have seen first hand why they are in place.

You can still build great performance and stay smog friendly, and cars that only see track duty or stay off public roads are not governed by smog laws.

Last edited by NeoTokyo; 06-27-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:43 PM
pfc_gomez
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
I feel bad for you guys out in CA there like **** with there emissions and inspectionrequirements.
I know its for a reason to be strict it but it also SUCKS! Before purchasing parts you have to look around and research what brand makes a CARB legal product. Not what is the best product for my car? Or when on a budget whats the cheapest? Unless you are going to uninstall it when your inspection is due then re-install it.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:49 AM
traxiii

Originally Posted by NeoTokyo
Its not a bad thing, it helps keep the air cleaner.

Having lived in the midwest (Springfield Mo.) I have seen how ****ty the sky is due in part to no smog rules.

Springfield has about 160,000 people and nothing around it for miles and miles.
The light filtering down to the ground is so drab and yellow brown and you never have true blue skies out there.

Having photography as my passion I notice this kind of thing where many others do not.

Coming back home to California was like taking a set of sun glasses off (Which I then put back on ~BRIGHT~ lol)

Now lets go up to Sacramento where I stayed about a week before coming up to Redding. (I lived in Sacramento for a few years before moving to Mo.)
The population of Sacramento County alone is 1,421,959 people (2010) and the Suburbs of Sac County cross over other county lines like Placer County, El Dorado County, Amador County, San Joaquin County, Solano, Yolo and Sutter Counties.

There are millions and millions of people in and around Sacramento County.

The Sky is Bluer, the light isnt as dulled and yellowed, the air is cleaner and it doesnt smell like they are burning corpses all the time! (Very little regulation for cremation in Springfield.)

Granted Sacramento has its bad days during the summer (Like most places do) it still isnt as bad as Springfield Missouri.

There is something like 15x the people in Sacramento County and in the immediate area's of surrounding counties than there is in all of Greene County (Springfield Mo.) and yet the air is worse there.

Now Fast Forward to Redding, to a population of about 90,000 and the sky is even cleaner but on some days during the summer has been rated at 3rd worst in the country due to being cupped in mountains at the very top of the valley. It just depends if we have good winds that summer or not. Those "Bad" days havnt happened for a few years though and I know they started smogging diesels out here. Redding was still better than Springfield.

Now I went up into the Trinity Alps a bit west of Redding and WOW, I havnt seen sky like that forever. It rates right up there with Montant when I lived there as a kid for about 6 or 7 months.

So anyways, dont knock smog laws just because you cant add all the performance parts you want to your car and blindly pollute the air. These laws have their place and I have seen first hand why they are in place.

You can still build great performance and stay smog friendly, and cars that only see track duty or stay off public roads are not governed by smog laws.
Smog laws are not why Springfield might have less light (which I think is your imagination) tractors plowing might be.

Quick Reply: C.A.R.B and/or CA Legal?