V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

8.8 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 11:29 AM
V6Stang93
1st Gear Member

Default 8.8 Swap

Hey guys, I'm looking to put a lsd/t-lok in. I originally wanted to put a FRPP 7.5 T-lok in but after doing plenty of research I'm feeling really sketchy about doing that, since loads of people say they break them. I'd rather skip that part and just throw in an 8.8 even if it is a little heavier. Plus I plan on building the snot out on my engine later down the road so ill need it.

Anyways will this work for me?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-MUSTANG...e5b6c5&vxp=mtr

I plan on putting a rebuild kit in and 3.75's
The other thing I was wondering is there anything else I need? Will it bolt straight up to my axles and housings? I know it will fit my drive shaft, but anything else?
Old 05-01-2012, 01:04 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

If you want to go to an 8.8 you have to replace the whole thing, that won't fit in your 7.5" housing.
If you want to go with the 8.8" the best one to get that's stock is the 03/04 Mach 1 rear end. With the 3.55 gears you probably won't want to change gears either because it is so close to 3.73 gears.

If your going to have a lot power you will still need to build it at some point because even stock Mach 1's have broken that rear end. Granted your a long ways off from that power but still you will have to build it at some point just to be safe. Don't get me wrong though, that Mach 1 rear end has supported a lot more power than stock too, its just always a good idea to build the rearend to match your engine.

That being said, save some money and build a 7.5 that is unless you find a stupid great deal on an 8.8".
Old 05-01-2012, 01:38 PM
V6Stang93
1st Gear Member

When you say build a 7.5 what all are you talking about?
I have a good idea, but could you explain it in full?
Old 05-02-2012, 09:34 PM
03shadow
5th Gear Member

basically get a better differential and bearings and seals replaced, maybe get hardened axles if you feel like it, or welded axle tubes. Im not sure of your budget. I would at least get a eaton diff
Old 05-03-2012, 06:13 PM
V6Stang93
1st Gear Member

ok, that's about what I thought. Can anyone point me to a good install guide. I'm still on the fence whether or not I want attempt it myself. I think the part that is worrying me the most is setting the backlash and that other thing, I cant remember the name, right. I think if I had a quality guide I could be able to do it.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:16 AM
Dr.Le
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by V6Stang93
ok, that's about what I thought. Can anyone point me to a good install guide. I'm still on the fence whether or not I want attempt it myself. I think the part that is worrying me the most is setting the backlash and that other thing, I cant remember the name, right. I think if I had a quality guide I could be able to do it.
I depends on the install.

1)if you stick w/ 7.5 that means you need 7.5 gears and 7.5 t-lok and you need professional install for that for sure.

2)if you want the whole 8.8. that is possible to install by yourself. b/c you WONT be changing any gears or t-lok. what you do is buy the entire rear end that already has the gears and t-lok inside.

2a) but if you do the "entire rearend change" from a stock GT, the gears inside is still IMO not enough to justify cost.

What you want is a "entire rearend change" w/ the 3.73 or 4.10 gears already installed. (g-luck finding that they are out there)
With this option, chances are you're getting used and all the trouble w/ used items.

Months ago i was in your situation. trying to build my 7.5 or upgrade to 8.8. overall cost is about the same. yes about the same!!! so that makes the choices even harder!!!

BTW i went w/ 7.5 instead b/c i wanted NEW gears and t-lok instead of USED GT gears and T-lok.

Last option to consider but its really expensive.

3) get a 8.8 rearend and install new gears on it. (no t-lok needed b/c 8.8 comes w/ t-lok.)

let us know what you choose...
Old 05-04-2012, 01:32 AM
Dr.Le
2nd Gear Member

From what i understand....

breaking 7.5 rear end is NOT the fault of the gears... it is the fault of the t-lok

there's a recent post on busted 7.5 rearend b/c he use t-lok from a bronco II, which he states that they are rated at 120hp. our stock v6 is already 190hp so thats not a good combo....

However if you're using ford raceing t-lok, i think has been rated 300hp, thats good enough for V6 right?

while the gears are all metal parts and thats kinda hard to break.

hey if have concern about it... get a t-lok thats rated around 600hp and your safe right?

here's another thought.... heat is the number one source that causes metal parts to breakdown.... so if you're concern about 7.5 not holding enough power.... do everything it takes to keep temp low...

RP diff oil + a bigger diff girdle

...okay since you said you want enormous power in the future, 8.8 would be the safest way...

(what kind of power are we talking about here?)
Old 05-04-2012, 05:12 AM
V6Stang93
1st Gear Member

Ha well this is down the road quite a few years, but I want to buy a second used engine so I can stroke it and do H/C/I. Then I was thinking of turboing it. On TMA turbos website there was a dyno of an almost exact set up as the one I was planning and it was getting around 560 rwhp at 15 psi. Again, this is not going to be any where close to being done till after I get out of college and find a job.... Still got 3 more years....
Old 05-04-2012, 06:13 PM
Dr.Le
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by V6Stang93
Ha well this is down the road quite a few years, but I want to buy a second used engine so I can stroke it and do H/C/I. Then I was thinking of turboing it. On TMA turbos website there was a dyno of an almost exact set up as the one I was planning and it was getting around 560 rwhp at 15 psi. Again, this is not going to be any where close to being done till after I get out of college and find a job.... Still got 3 more years....
okay, with that kind of setup.... for sure 8.8! done

oh.... i know if i dont say it, someone will..... why not mod a GT instead? its not cost effective for us v6 to go that route. (thats the general consensuses on almost every stang forum not just this one.)

I know the potential of v6 and im happy w/ modding it.

but hey, its your car and your money...(i love to see super fast v6 stangs too... it'll be unique for sure and put some GT to shame..... just not cost effective)
Old 05-04-2012, 06:44 PM
V6Stang93
1st Gear Member

Oh no I completely understand the idea, but I'm not going for cost affective. I want to be able to pull up next to a GT and just blow him away you know? I'd rather be unique than go the route everyone else does to get power, even if it does take me more resources and time to do. Anyways I think I'm going to go the cheap route and get a 7.5 FRPP rear with some 3.75's for now. I know ill have to change it down the road, but every penny counts right now, so if I can save some money I'm going to do it.

Quick Reply: 8.8 Swap