V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Throwout bearings??

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 10:02 PM
Tina

Unhappy Throwout bearings??

Hey guys...New here and trying to figure out what just happened to my clutch.
About a year (or so) ago I had my clutch replaced. It never felt quit right and figured it was because it was not OEM. But now not too sure if that was "it" or not...
Today (in second) I was driving and everything was fine, then going up a slight hill and changing into third the clutch, when compressed, made an aweful sound. It quit when I let off the clutch. I was coming up on the stop sign so I downshifted again and the clutch was much louder and longer in sound than before. Being I was beside a store, I put the car in neutral and coasted in and shut the car off. I (with the car off) pressed in the clutch and it sounded as if the bearings in the back where thrown...so I didnt mess with it any more.
I called for a ride and the guy that picked me up tried to start the car which cut off instantly. He tried again and there was a small amount of smoke that came from underneath my hood area, drivers side.
I had the car towed back to the house, but I'm now tring to figure out what is wrong. I'm confused...can the throwout bearings cause the smoke?
Old 05-04-2012, 04:36 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

wow.

Well yes, they are a part that if a total failure happens the friction would cause so much heat that it would smoke or worse.

If at all possible a vid our sound clip would help, we are at the large spectrum right now trying to pinpoint whats going on.

a TB is a cheap fix too, $30+ if you do your own work or have a friend but while its out its a good time to change everything, PB, clutch, pressure plate, TB, pivot ball if needed.

btw, welcome to our forums.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:31 AM
Tina

Thanks Neo! I had my dad come by and look at it last night also, and he agreed too its the bearings. He also thinks the "smoke" was not smoke but more of a dust as it hasnt happened again, and was such a small amount.
Unfortunatley I've only been under a hood, and not under a car per-say and not sure I can do this one. I might could attempt if I had some way to jack the car here, but dont. Now to search for someone who's not going to charge an arm and leg...like I said I kinda already paid for the job, they just did a crappy job on adjustment and now they arent open on the weekends and my hope is to get er done now. Very impatient when it comes to the car. If I do find a way to jack her up my self - is there anything major I should be aware of?
Old 05-06-2012, 10:42 AM
robb15033
2nd Gear Member

If you are to get a set of throw out bearings and a set of pilot bearings to install, most of us all highly recommend going with a set of Ford Racing throw out bearings. They are reliable and quiet, something thousands of Mustang owners do each time clutch work is involved. Your Mustang shop will attest to this too.
Links for each bearing:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-t...ring-7904.html
http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-raci...2012/p/M7600B/
**Note** These are sometimes listed under V8/GT but I called a long time ago to verify that it fits my V6 before purchasing. You can do the same by calling AM and that way you will have an answer in 5 minutes and then install a high, high quality part, trouble frr. Good luck-
Old 05-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

A throw out bearing is the most common part to fail in a clutch assembly. This is because it sits still (not rotating) at rest and goes from zero to engine RPM instantly when you put your foot on the clutch. This takes a real toll on the seals and especially the surface contacting the fingers/diaphragm of the pressure plate.
If you had a TO bearing expire so quickly, it was most likely a Chinese part. They are the only ones I know of that fail so quickly.
+1 with the guys recommending a Ford Racing (FRPP) bearing. For a little more money you get a far superior part.
If it is just the TO bearing that died, I have no idea where any smoke or dust cloud could come from, that's odd.

You were VERY SMART to kill the car and have it towed when the failure occurred. That action can save you a LOT of money when something fails. Most people would continue driving.

Good luck.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:45 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tina
If I do find a way to jack her up my self - is there anything major I should be aware of?
You will need to get the car high enough to remove the transmission. Only 4 bolts hold it to the bell housing, but the top two can be a pain to get to in order to remove sometimes.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Tina

Thanks for all the reply's. I did find someone who would do mechanics on the weekend, thank goodness - that was alot of disassembly for one chick on the weekend
It was the bearing and apparently the guy says they never took out the original bearing - was still factory! I guess the shop I took it to never thought I would know. Replaced and back on the streets - thanks for all the help guys!!
Old 05-07-2012, 07:19 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

If the shop that did the work charged you for a new bearing you can go after them for that. It happens every day in every city, a shop lies about parts or labor.

They will keep doing it unless they are exposed.

First step is to contact the branch manager and let them know what happened, let them know that your new mechanic found that they never replaced the TB and let them know that you want a refund for the part they charged you for and to pay for the work that had to be done in an emergency.

If they say no, there is no point getting mad and arguing, just let them know that you will be writing online reviews to expose them publicly, you will open a BBB case, you will hire an attorney and it will cost them a lot more in the long run than fixing their screw up.

If they didnt charge you for the part all you really can do is ask them why they didnt replace it, its part of the reg maint when you swap clutches. Let them know what happened and that you will still write a review about what happened, they might compensate you in this case but I wouldnt count on it.

Good luck.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:27 AM
robb15033
2nd Gear Member

Both, the trow out bearing and the pilot bearing should of been replaced. If not, you'll be second guessing any noise you hear under there. Hopefully it will be OK for a while. A shop that doesn't at least inspect them is a bit off the wall, worrisome.