V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 11:00 AM
JeffBall
1st Gear Member

Default Clutch

Well, i'm back everyone, seems they took away the old "Log in with gmail" thing and that's how i did it. Anyways i had to make a new account. This weekend i am planning on replacing my clutch. I don't have a lift or anything. Im going to have to do it in the yard. Will i have enough clearance to pull the tranny out of it just drive it up on ramps? My neighbor just built a new garage and said i could come use it any time i wanted, but im not trying to stain his concrete with tranny fluid lol. I plan on using his garage as a last resort, but does anyone have any other suggestions besides ramps? I was even thinking about digging a small pit to do it. All the shops in my area are wanting upwards of $400 to do it, and thats with me supplying the clutch. no thank you. My clutch is fine, but my TOB is on its last leg.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:07 PM
V6Stang93
1st Gear Member

I did it in my garage, Home one, not in an actual shop, and had plenty of clearance. I just built a wooden platform to help me get the car higher on the jacks. I pretty much had the Jack stands as high as they could go. The only downside is getting the tranny back in. I had two other friends helping me and it still took for ever

Digging a pit isn't a bad Idea, it may just be a pain to get in and out of though.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:00 PM
JeffBall
1st Gear Member

Im a fairly small guy, around 5'11" and weighing in at around 140. I dont need a whole lot of room just worried about clearance. I helped a buddy do his in his 93 5.0 he had a whole lot more clearance that i do...but we basically benched the thing back up. wasn't too heavy. Im leaning more towards the pit idea because i could easily just drive my car over it and up onto ramps at the same time. so i would have plenty of clearance...dont need to be able to stand, id be happy with a sitting position
Old 05-10-2012, 10:21 AM
V6Stang93
1st Gear Member

Ya that would probably be fine. Heck I didn't even have room to sit up, I was On my back most of the time.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:27 AM
JeffBall
1st Gear Member

Yeah, i mean i have all the tools to do, helped other people do theirs, never done my own. It shouldnt be so much different, drop the driveshaft, drain tranny, drop tranny, resurface flywheel, put it all back together. I dont THINK i will have to do anything with my exhaust, i have true duals and it doesn't look like thye will be in the way at all.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:42 PM
JKs95stang
4th Gear Member

A clutch installed should be right around 5 or 550, but who knows what clutch you will get. I paid right around 200 bucks for a decent clutch. Make sure it has at least 5 clutch springs, the one I yanked out had 4 and was a cheapy that a shop probably just threw in there and raped the previous owner. This isn't a hard job, just time consuming. GL
Old 05-14-2012, 11:36 AM
JeffBall
1st Gear Member

The prices i was given was with me SUPPLYING the clutch pack. Im going to be doing it myself here shortly, this friday is my last day at my job, and then ill have more time with my car. My job screwed me over one too many times, i couldnt stay there lol. The pay was great, but not worth the stress. The typical one person gets handed all the work, while others do nothing. SO planning on changing rear diff fluid and clutch here shortly.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:33 PM
speakerman86
2nd Gear Member

You should be ok. I've dropped several transmissions in driveways, and one in the mud of a salvage yard lol. You jack stands, a descent jack (one that won't tip over) and a few pieces of a 2x4 in case you need extra lift. I don't know if you have a t5 or not but I was able to lift a t5 back into place without a jack. Just make sure to have a friend nearby in case you get into trouble.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:19 PM
JeffBall
1st Gear Member

Yeah I have the t5, i heard that they are fairly light.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:26 PM
JKs95stang
4th Gear Member

Yes they aren't that heavy, just awkward and wierd positioning. I would recommend a second hand for a few of the steps, but it's mainly a one man job. Just take your time and don't get frustrated, it won't help, and you'll just beat yourself up even more about it. Take a break, get something to eat/drink collect your thoughts, you'll save your knuckles from getting busted up more than they already are.

Quick Reply: Clutch