V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Power Steering Flush (Pictures!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 08:04 PM
du907

Default Power Steering Flush (Pictures!)

I bought my son a 2003 Mustang with 100,000 miles and 3.8 V6 5 speed. I have been going through it fixing and checking things. This site has been invaluable with information so I thought I would give back a little.
The power steering whines quite a bit mainly when turning the wheel. I decided to do a fluid flush because I'm sure it has never been done and seem to be the best place to start. The following is based on information I gleamed from this site using parts from other postings.

I first raised the front wheels off the ground just enough to clear using jack stands.

I decided to take loose the rubber return hose to the pump at the connection near the radiator at the metal cooling hose. It has the standard factory spring clamp that you use pliers to squeeze and pull back down the hose. Have a catch pan ready to catch the fluid.

In the picture below, the #1 arrow points to the metal cooling hose return that connects to the rubber hose to the bottom of the pump. The #2 arrow points to the disconnected part of the return hose that connects to the bottom of the pump that I plugged with a bolt. When you disconnect this hose the fluid in the pump will drain out, have the catch pan ready.

I attached a length of clear plastic hose on the metal cooling return hose (arrow #1 in picture above)and aimed it toward the catch pan. This way I could observe the fluid color easily.

Next I filled the pump back up with new fluid (red arrow). I bought 3 quarts of Mercon to do the flush. It turn out to be enough. I decided to try the hand method to turn the pump instead of running the engine becuase I didn't think I could keep up with filling the pump and everything else. I removed the drive belt so I could turn the pump by hand, clockwise direction as indicated by the white arrow.

I first turned the pump pulley by hand and watched the color of the fluid coming out the hose. I would keep a check on the pump level making sure not to let the fluid get below the bottom of the neck of the pump.

I then had my son turn the steering wheel slowly from lock to lock while I turned the pump pulley and added fluid to the pump until I had clean red fluid coming out the hose. You need to turn the wheels back and forth because you would not believe how much more dirty fluid came out.

After I was satisfied I had completely changed out all the old fluid I pulled the bolt out of the rubber part of the return hose (do this quickly because fluid will come out) and replaced it on the metal return cooling hose and reset the clamp. I then put on a new drive belt (needed one anyway) and started the car and turned the steering wheel back an forth, lock to lock a few times. Took a test drive and rechecked the level when hot and added a little fluid to proper level.

Last edited by du907; 11-06-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:13 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Great write up. You can also fit an allen head socket into the pump shaft and spin the pump with a ratchet. I don't remember what size allen to use though. A lot easier them spinning it by hand. Again, great write up...
Old 11-07-2011, 08:03 AM
jkeaton
1st Gear Member

excellent. I was just looking into this on saturday because my ps fluids looks like burned motor oil.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:00 PM
03shadow
5th Gear Member

nice write up! should come in handy some day
Old 11-07-2011, 02:58 PM
whiteforlife

Was there a noticeable improvement in the whine? I have a 2000 v6 with a loud whining power steering pump. The pump is in perfect working condition so I don't want to replace it. I am just looking for different things I could try to fix the whine.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:43 PM
jesse1125
2nd Gear Member

Great write up. Pictures helped
Old 11-08-2011, 04:35 PM
WoahPony
3rd Gear Member

Huge help my man, Changing all fluids before startup on my rebuild and this is a great write up
Old 11-08-2011, 06:56 PM
du907

Whiteforlife:
The whine went away as long as the wheels are straight. In the driveway turning the wheels and I still hear the whine, but just going down the road, the whine is gone. I guess to totally eliminate the whine, I'll have to replace the pump.

Thanks everyone for the good comments.
du907
Old 11-08-2011, 08:01 PM
WoahPony
3rd Gear Member

I've never seen a new edge that doesn't have a whiney PS pump though, they're pretty notorious for that. At least in cold old NH they are
Old 11-08-2011, 08:17 PM
desertt5
1st Gear Member

I did the same thing on my wife's a while back. I got lucky, about 95% of the whine is gone on hers. I could barely see any red left in the fluid that came out.

Good pics. There was no way I was going to touch her DSLR camera after having PS fluid hands.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Flush (Pictures!)