MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (http://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs (http://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-1994-2004-mustangs-4/)
-   -   Somthing wrong w 4.10 gears? (http://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-1994-2004-mustangs/672626-somthing-wrong-w-4-10-gears.html)

Dr.Le 05-20-2012 01:44 AM

Somthing wrong w 4.10 gears?
 
hey guys, so as promised, i did get 4.10 gears installed today.

its professionally done and i was not happy. yeah... thats unheard of right?

i dont believe it either.

I got 4.10 w t-lok.

i have done months of research before going w/ gears. i here its described like this

"And believe me, they'll be no "I think I feel a diffference" after you put on gears, you'll be like "holy sh*t is this the same car!"

I didn't feel that at all!!! the sct tuner was more apparent.

i dont believe that this is right... did i get cheated some how? my installer is very reputable, but the install process did not go smoothly.

i took it in at 9am and it wasnt ready until 8:30pm. this was on a saturday too. the installer and i contacted eachother constantly that day.

he said i may have had a defective part b/c things didn't fit right (i bought the parts and the installer charged me for labor only) he ended up buying three more parts and charging me 40 more bucks for it.

but at the end, he said it still didn't fit right but assured me that it is the best that any one can do. b/c he has done these kind of install for years and have done these 100's of times.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so now im up at midnight venting to you guys.

here's what i plan to do. drive on the freeway to see if my rpm is any different. (it should be higher)

if you're wondering, i did have bama send me new tunes to fix the speedo and other issues.

what else can i do??? i cant stand spending a GRAND and not see any difference.

is this how the break-in period suppose to be like?


(v6, auto, jmod, bama tune, cai)

mustangman02232 05-20-2012 02:49 AM

did you get them for the 7,5 or 8.8? whats your rpms at XX mph?

03shadow 05-20-2012 11:13 AM

you dont really need a break in period and the difference should be felt regardless of a break in period. I felt a little jump by just going to 3.55s so im not sure what is wrong. definitely check the rpm at like 65 and get back to us if you think it is too low

jthorn9 05-20-2012 01:38 PM

Reputable or not, the installer screwed you. That or you got the wrong parts.

FYI, shops HATE installing parts you bring in. As a result they will be more inclined to screw around or mess up the install cause they don't have to warranty the parts and they make no extra dollars off comission for the parts.

johno2b 05-20-2012 01:53 PM

if its a matter of feel, going from 3:5/3:7 to 4:10's, not much feel. That will need to be taken into account. Tire height also comes into play. Taller the tire, less the feel.

03shadow 05-21-2012 10:26 AM

yup what jthorn said. i learned that the hard way once.

and regardless of tire size, he should still tell a difference. I wouldnt be surprised if the shop just got replacement stock ones and put them in and kept the 4.10s if you cant tell a difference at all

jthorn9 05-21-2012 11:19 AM

That's my thinking too, that they kept the 4.10s and just "tinkered" with the rear end.

Best way to tell...jack your car up in the rear (both sides) make a mark on the drive shaft (marker, white out, or a rock) and count the revs the drive shaft makes per 1 tire rotation. If you count anything less than 4.10 rotations per wheel rotation, they screwed you and you need to go back there and unload on them.

mustangman02232 05-21-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03shadow (Post 7946493)
yup what jthorn said. i learned that the hard way once.

and regardless of tire size, he should still tell a difference. I wouldnt be surprised if the shop just got replacement stock ones and put them in and kept the 4.10s if you cant tell a difference at all

more like let the car sit in the parking lot kept the gears and the install money

03shadow 05-21-2012 12:40 PM

that too. i could see a shop replacing stock gears just to make it seem like they did some kind of work.

next time you get work done, request to keep your stock parts. dont let them have them because 1) you may decide put the stock parts back in, and 2) requesting to keep them will make the shop a little more likely to actually do the work, the stock parts can be proof for them and assurance for you

robb15033 05-23-2012 06:45 AM

As mentioned, 4.10's will be extremely noticeable right away. The engine will be screamin, acceleration will be crazy different & quick, the speedometer will be off by at least 5+ MPH. All these things. It should drive like an entirely, 100% different car. I have 3.73's and I can't imagine driving down the highway with 4.10's in the car, I really can't.

mustang99v6 05-23-2012 09:34 AM

Boy, this thread went downhill fast! Dr. Le listen, 4.10's aren't like some magical turbo boost. So maybe your idea based off what "others" are telling you just isn't lived up to, but that doesn't mean the work wasn't done. Instead of assuming the worst, start verifying things. Did the shop give you your old gears back? If not, go get them. Double check your new parts order slip and make sure of what you ordered. If neither of those answers your question, then pony up the money for a new gasket, sealer, gear oil, & additive. Then just crack the pumpkin open and count your gears.

Dr.Le 05-29-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mustangman02232 (Post 7945564)
did you get them for the 7,5 or 8.8? whats your rpms at XX mph?


I got the 7.5
before the gears its 2300@75mph now its 2600@70 ... sorry i didnt take it to 75mph (break in period).

but that feels high.

im in an auto and my tires are 245/45/17.

Dr.Le 05-29-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jthorn9 (Post 7945750)
Reputable or not, the installer screwed you. That or you got the wrong parts.

FYI, shops HATE installing parts you bring in. As a result they will be more inclined to screw around or mess up the install cause they don't have to warranty the parts and they make no extra dollars off comission for the parts.

Yeah, i got the feeling when i told them ill be bring in the parts and i want the labor cost only. they didnt like it too much.

but i was saving 100+ buying parts online instead of from them you know.

Dr.Le 05-29-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johno2b (Post 7945762)
if its a matter of feel, going from 3:5/3:7 to 4:10's, not much feel. That will need to be taken into account. Tire height also comes into play. Taller the tire, less the feel.

im in an auto and my tires are 245/45/17.

so after, i search for post similar to this

"disappointing w/ 4.10 gears swap"

and yes i did find a few of them and my face went green after.

Dr.Le 05-29-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03shadow (Post 7946618)
that too. i could see a shop replacing stock gears just to make it seem like they did some kind of work.

next time you get work done, request to keep your stock parts. dont let them have them because 1) you may decide put the stock parts back in, and 2) requesting to keep them will make the shop a little more likely to actually do the work, the stock parts can be proof for them and assurance for you

man, i did not ask for parts back. i've always done installs and mods myself. not much experience w/ mechanics.

now i know what to do for next time around.

Dr.Le 05-29-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jthorn9 (Post 7946540)
That's my thinking too, that they kept the 4.10s and just "tinkered" with the rear end.

Best way to tell...jack your car up in the rear (both sides) make a mark on the drive shaft (marker, white out, or a rock) and count the revs the drive shaft makes per 1 tire rotation. If you count anything less than 4.10 rotations per wheel rotation, they screwed you and you need to go back there and unload on them.

i think thats what happened to me, cuz when i came to pick up the car, we didnt even test drive it... it was 8:30pm btw so i wanted to get out of there too.

Dr.Le 05-29-2012 12:41 PM

Okay i got the answer to all these questions and inquires.

here's what happened.. from the beginning.

I called the shop asap and told them about the situation, saying that i didnt see/feel much performance gain, MAYBE there was something wrong. I asked if they can test drive it for me to see if everything was okay.

the response: you'll have to bring it in on a sat b/c our "gear" guy only work sat and he can if you a better and more accurate answer.

so i waited a whole week, labor day weekend came, i called and the shop said its really busy today and asked if I can drop the car off at the shop and the gear guy can get to it ASAP.

so that's what i did.

Dr.Le 05-29-2012 12:51 PM

Later, i picked it up and the drive was a beast!!! YES it pulled and NOW I understand the 4.10 smile i was waiting for.

Here's the mechanic explanation...

you had a pcv failure and that caused HP lose
and we did NOT load your tunes in the FIRST time around. We didnt know if you had a custom tune or not.
what we did was used the sct and changed your gear/tire ratio to match the speedo.

So what do you guys think? is this plausible? sounds convincing too huh?

well before, i was running 91 bama tune only and i added +2 on the timing w/o any knock.

so maybe i got used to the "power of 91 octane" tune and the integrative strength of my other bolt on mods that a NON-tune off set my 4.10 gears?

thats the logic or explanation but who knows..... im happy w/ the gears now. and i've learned a lot when working w/ mechanics.

thanks for all the inputs. i hope my situation add on and helps out the next person.

robb15033 05-30-2012 02:13 PM

A little bit confusing because it's pretty normal to receive dyno sheets with the custom tunes they should have provided you after the dyno tuned it.
After the work they did, it should have been done that way, in my opinion


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27 PM.