V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Huge Problems with my 96

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 11:49 AM
96_v6

Default Huge Problems with my 96

car is a 96 3.8L with a 5spd manual

So a i went with a friend to maryland for memorial day weekend and my 96 decided to die on us. basically i drove out there just fine and then when i went to start it and drive home after it had been sitting for about 5 hours, it wouldnt turn over. called AAA for a jump and it started so i figured all was good. 5 miles down the road the temp gage rises FAST. never had an overheating problem before but the needle was almost as high as it would go by the time i pulled over. checked under the hood and the radiator hose was swollen up to the size of a football. next day got towed to the only shop open on a sunday. they replaced the hose, took it for a test drive and said it appeared to be running fine. we start to drive home and the car makes it about 30 miles down the interstate before the exact same thing happens. we also notice that the exhaust is spewing out smoke. get towed back to shop. they find anti-freeze in the exhaust and say it is an internal problem that is above what they do. left the car in maryland and got a friend to come get us.

i know any sort of internal problem is gonna cost huge $$$ to fix and i still would have to go back to maryland and tow it home (ohio). I have a huge sentimental attatchment to this car, it was my first and only car ive ever had so i really wanna save it but i fear it is beyond my capabilities and/or finances to fix. anybody have any suggestions on the best (cheapest) way to tow it home? what do you think is wrong with it? and how much more costly would it be to just drop a 4.6 in there than to fix what is wrong with the 3.8?
Old 05-29-2012, 02:12 PM
belairbrian
2nd Gear Member

From your description you have a blown head gasket. All the classic symptoms showing.

Do you have access to a truck capable of using a wheel dolly? Proabaly get one going one way for a hundred bucks or so.

Next option would be auto transport companies but you will be over $500. But after time off from work, fuel, food etc it still may be cheaper than towing yourself.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:41 PM
96_v6

^yea the mechanic said head gasket is his best guess. what do you think would be a good estimate of how much a shop would charge to fix that?

anybody ever used u-haul to tow a car? i saw they rent out car trailers for like $50. my parents have a van with a towing package that they use to tow a camper all the time so i figure it could probably handle the mustang.

also forgot to mention the car has 120K miles on it
Old 05-29-2012, 04:41 PM
stlbzmustang

How well are you with cars? You could always do it your self. Depending on your skill you could get it done in a weekend.

That seems really low for a head gasket fail did you keep up on maintenance? Fluids and filter changes? Did it ever get real hot before?

And it would be WAY cheaper for you to fix the 3.8 then try to put a 4.6 in it.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:51 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

id bet headgaskets, i used a u haul to tow my mustang home because I knew it wouldnt fit on our landoll trailer and the thing was a friggin toilet, half the lights didnt work, no brakes on the trailer,

your best bet is either a 89-95 T bird supercoupe motor or a 97 up f/e 150 4.2 v6 that will drop right in, if you do decide to put a 4.6 in make sure its a 4v out of a cobra
Old 05-29-2012, 06:38 PM
96_v6

^the car was well taken care of as far as routine maintenance, at least for the 60K miles that I had it. had to keep it outside most of the time tho

i am not skilled enough to fix it myself, nor do i have the tools to do so. also cant really afford to mess around with trying to learn on the go since I need it to be a reliable daily driver when i start my job in 2 weeks
Old 05-30-2012, 02:42 AM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

With the overheating and hose swelling up why would it be the head gasket instead of a thermostat?
Old 05-30-2012, 07:51 AM
stlbzmustang

The fact the smoke pouring out the exhaust makes us think it's the head gasket.
Maybe the thermostat went bad too.
Being out side shouldn't be an issue but yeah it sucks having a car and not knowing how the person before you handled it.

Stick with your motor or a 99-04 motor not a cobra or a 4.6 you would have to change brakes, transmission, rear end, ECM, cooling system and more....in the end you would pay more to do the swap then if you would buy a 96-98 cobra.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:02 AM
keithnra
1st Gear Member

anti freeze in exhust is never a goodsign
Old 06-04-2012, 07:59 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Yup, sounds like you had a couple things happen.
Like DaeHawk said, T-stat first thanks to the rad hose signs and then that caused the overheating and head gasket to go. Same thing happened on the wifes 96' but it was the best thing to happen to that little six as we swapping in a very nice 00' motor.

There is one thing that you can have your shop do before you tow it down to try to repair your head gasket.

Its a product called Blue Devil and it MIGHT seal up your head gasket problem.
They have a 100% satisfaction guarantee so if it doesnt work you get your money back, nothing to lose.

I have seen it work and I have seen it fail, its not a sure fire thing but it MIGHT work and get you home.

Your mechanic can do this, it is a lengthy process but if done right and the blown gasket isnt that bad you might be able to seal it just fine. This is about a $50 dollar product plus whatever the cost is of your mechanic to do the flush for you.

Towing is the safest way to do it, just get all fours off the ground or the rear.
Unlike others I have yet to have a bad car trailer rental from U-Haul BUT I have gotten bad box trucks from them before, its just really depends on the age and condition of the equipment you are handed and ALWAYS get the insurance.

Quick Reply: Huge Problems with my 96