V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Anyone running SYLVANIA SilverStar's?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 04:23 PM
Litefoot

Default Anyone running SYLVANIA SilverStar's?

We have a 2002 Mustang convertible V6/ Auto also and the headlamps are dim and yellow. I found smoked replacement headlamp assemblies $104.00 for the pair from 1A auto.com but no new bulbs. anyway I wanted to upgrade the headlamps and was thinking of getting the SYLVANIA SilverStar ULTRA High Performance Headlights to go with the new assemblies.
Question I have are they that much better than OEM lights.
Worth the money?
Old 05-22-2012, 09:57 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

I do not believe they are any better then OEM. I bought them for the same purpose (to see better at night, ect) but I did not notice one little bit of diffrence over the stock ones. If you want brighter go with HIDs.

Matthew
Old 05-22-2012, 10:43 AM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

I had the same kind of bulb as well, I noticed a SLIGHT difference in brightness, it was also a litte whiter than the OEM bulbs. As Matt said, if you want bright, go HID. I've had multiple pairs on all my cars, blue, white, yellowish white, and I liked them all (blue made the most people flash their high beams at me)

Also I wouldn't buy something off of Ebay, I bought 3 pairs before I went to a shop that sold them for $60 and a 9 month garuntee.

Josh
Old 05-22-2012, 03:01 PM
slonison
1st Gear Member

IF you're going to get smoked housings and you've never had them before... don't waste your time with Sylvania silverstar. Speaking from experience, waste of money... I went through like 4 pairs like ~180$ in total and I couldn't see anything until I got HIDs...

Remember, by smoking the housing, you prevent light from passing through....in as well as out.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:50 PM
jbeach7

I have smoked halos and I wanted something brighter def go with hids worth every cent. Gives a kinda ocean blue tint to it looks great
Old 05-23-2012, 12:31 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Litefoot
We have a 2002 Mustang convertible V6/ Auto also and the headlamps are dim and yellow. I found smoked replacement headlamp assemblies $104.00 for the pair from 1A auto.com but no new bulbs. anyway I wanted to upgrade the headlamps and was thinking of getting the SYLVANIA SilverStar ULTRA High Performance Headlights to go with the new assemblies.
Question I have are they that much better than OEM lights.
Worth the money?
They are really not worth it. I honestly felt taken advantage of because $50 for a set of bulbs is not cheap especially when the output is just not there. HIDs are the only way to go if you want a brighter, more visible light. I've had a great experience with Retro-Solutions in regards to my '06 and plan to deal with them for the '04. Great company, Great product, GREAT service.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:40 AM
robb15033
2nd Gear Member

I have HID's now but, the Sylvania Silverstar zXe is the very best, brightest, whitest halogen bulb I ever used. The zXe set is way better than the other two Silverstar versions they make. If someone happens to be in Northern Va. I have a slightly used set to give away.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:22 AM
Fink
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by slonison
IF you're going to get smoked housings and you've never had them before... don't waste your time with Sylvania silverstar. Speaking from experience, waste of money... I went through like 4 pairs like ~180$ in total and I couldn't see anything until I got HIDs...

Remember, by smoking the housing, you prevent light from passing through....in as well as out.
I notice a slight difference between Silverstars w/ clear housings and Silverstars w/ Smoked housings.

I will never buy a HID kit unless I did a projector retrofit project.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:15 AM
robb15033
2nd Gear Member

Like I said, the zXe Silverstar bulbs are fantastic but I will never go back to halogens now that I've used my HID's. It's a matter of life safety. I have them accurately adjusted a slight bit low to limit any glare. These "Black Beauty" headlights did not function safely with halogens-
This Is Sylvania Silverstar zXe Halogen Bulbs:
Old 06-04-2012, 08:10 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

I have used all they have had to offer right up to the $50+ dollar Ultrastar's and they are no match for HID's.

Another thing to remember is that the higher the performance of those bulbs, the shorter the life of them. The Ultra's average a 12-24 month life. Do you really want to be spending $50+ dollars ever 1-2 years?

Lets not forget as they age they dim, so 1/2 - 3/4 of the way through the life they are just as dim as the stock ones.

A quality HID high/low beam kit is what you will want to look for.

Quick Reply: Anyone running SYLVANIA SilverStar's?