V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Installed new throttle body: Now car idles high

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 02:34 PM
micahk2

Angry Installed new throttle body: Now car idles high

I recently installed a BBK Performance throttle body that I purchased off of American Muscle and have been having some problems. I didnt have many issues with the installation, but afterwards I noticed a few things.

The car (while in park) is idling at about 1.5 RPM. Before I changed the TB, it was idling at about .75 - 1 RPM. I know that there is a little screw that you can loosen to make it idle lower. I loosened that, but the Throttle didn't budge. (Not sure what the thing is called, but its the thing that rests on the screw to keep it idling at a steady pace).

Also, while in drive, the gas pedal is a lot harder to press down. After pressing it down just a little bit, though, it easy to press down.

If ANY advice can be given, I would appreciate it. This isn't a huge issue, but it is beyond annoying. If any more information is needed, tell me.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:51 PM
slonison
1st Gear Member

Remove, put in box, send back.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:17 PM
micahk2

I've had a few people tell me this. Called American Muscle and they said they are going to ship me a new one because it sounds like a faulty part. Always my luck. Thanks for the advice. It wasn't much, but it was enough to make me finally call them and tell them.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

What other mods do you have?
Old 07-02-2012, 06:21 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

Do not install a throttle body. It's the dumbest mod you could have chosen next to a throttle body spacer. Put the stock one back on with new gaskets and then ask what you should buy so that we can tell you what will actually improve performance.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:41 PM
Roadhammer
1st Gear Member

What year is your v6? My own opinion is,if you cant get it to work correctly return it to stock,take your $250 and look for a nice tuner. Far more advantages to your can then the throttle body. And sill increase future performance mods..not 100% sure but isnt v6 stock 56mm throttle bodies? I would think getting your upper inake matched to 65mm may help your mod if you insist on keeping it..
Old 07-02-2012, 08:45 PM
Roadhammer
1st Gear Member

And as far as your troubles,maybe your trottle cable isnt on correctly. Could explain the higher idle and firmer peddle.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:45 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

As stated send it back and get your money back, completely worthless mod.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:38 AM
robb15033
2nd Gear Member

All these comments are not to be mean or harsh, just true and thousands of people do it. The larger TB is for ported upper and lower intakes. It wont hurt but doesn't help much until some porting work is done or a Windstar mod is done. I put one on and have had the car tuned a bunch of times. Someone gave it to me with a clutch kit for $50.00 total.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:58 AM
micahk2

A lot more responses than expected so here it goes.

It is a 2000 V6 and the tb is a 65mm.

I haven't actually modded my car a lot at all. I was under the impression that this was one of the first mods that you do. I have put on a CAI and have a 4" Flowmaster turndown. I actually think that is all that I have done tbh. I was planning on buying a tuner after this, then getting some new headers. I probably need to start reading up on what I am doing before I start doing it. I have a bad habit of just making my own decisions with no idea of what I am really doing.

I am sure that the cables were connected correctly. I had my dad look at it and he has been working on cars for years. Everything checked out okay. The problem seemed to be with the actual throttle body itself. I tried to adjust the throttle by loosening the screw a little bit, but it didn't seem to budge. As for the firm peddle thing...it just seems like it won't budge unless i step on it pretty hard, which I figured out was due to the spring being so tight on the TB.

I actually went back to stock because I almost got in a wreck. My car was idling at 3.5 revs and I had to have both my brake and my parking brake activated just to come to a stop.

I will probably do like you guys say and just skip out on this mod. Do any of you know of a way to get my money back? I can't really afford to be $280 in the hole like that.

Long post, but I think I covered everything?

Quick Reply: Installed new throttle body: Now car idles high