V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Port on Intake, where does it go?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 05:33 PM
Dubwhat
1st Gear Member

Default Port on Intake, where does it go?!

So I bought a 95 mustang from a friend. It's in BAD shape. The intake tube, was a K&N one, so he bought a 2000 one from a junk yard and put it in the car. Well the car throws a cam post sensor error and I take it to the shop and the guys notices right away this is unpugged. Where the heck does it go? Or SHOULD it go?

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...12153387_o.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...04376854_o.jpg

What I am questioning is close to the air intake, its got a little plug stuck in it for now.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:25 PM
belairbrian
2nd Gear Member

The tube with the blue filter is the PCV tube it should be feeding straight into the intake. The plugged hole is where it should connect.

That said, earlier intakes had the port in line with the existing tubing. Problem is the intake you have has the connection in a different place.

here is a picture showing the other location for that port.

But it's not going to fix the cam position error

Old 08-16-2012, 07:31 PM
belairbrian
2nd Gear Member

Personally I don't see a reason why you can't get an elbow and tube and hook it back up.

Or you could look for an earlier intake. You would only need the rubber section.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:04 PM
Dubwhat
1st Gear Member

Sweet. That is great to know. The question I have then, would that being connected to that little filter be a cause for a high idle? If I put it back into the air intake, does it need anything in line? I am confused as to why someone would put that kinda filter on it.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:15 PM
Dubwhat
1st Gear Member

As for the cam post sensor error, it came up when I was driving it the first few days I had the car. When the mechanic I took it too plugged the hole and cleared the code, it hasn't come back up yet. I dunno if it was a random thing or a sign something is gonna happen. But after it was plugged, the car runs better and I haven't had the code come up again. I have since driven it maybe 100 miles.

Thanks for the info tho. You have been a major help!
Old 08-17-2012, 10:13 AM
belairbrian
2nd Gear Member

Didn't get that the intake had an open port. That could cause all kinds of problems as it would leave an opening past the mass airflow sensor.

If someone had a cold air intake that didn't have a PCV connection the hose from the valve cover would output engine oil. My guess would be the blue filter is catching the oil.

As for connecting it you just need a section of hose and a 90 degree fitting.

The CPS code could have been a glitch, but CPS problems on these engines are not uncommon. The code isn't set immediately but after a certain number of failures are counted by the PCM. A high idle could be a symptom of a misaligned CPS as it would affect timing.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:43 AM
Dubwhat
1st Gear Member

Yea, I talked to a buddy last night and he says he has done that for years. More than likely it was because their was a metal pipe in place of the plastic air intake, with a K&N filter on it. It's since been removed.

The high idle thing bugs me. I haven't seen any more check engine codes but again I'm not driving it six to ten times a day. I only drive it once or twice a day, so maybe the code will come back. The local mechanic told me it would be 250-400$ to repair. I think ill do the plugs and wires this weekend. Think that may be a cause of high idle as well? Most of the people I talk to say there are dozens of issues that can cause a high idle. So I was gonna start there since it's a commonly overlooked maintenance item.

I also notice that there is a delay in shifting and through the lower ranges of the TPS, there is a lack of throttle. If I want it to pick up speed or drop to a lower gear I gotta tap the floor with the peddle to get there.