V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Mech says I need all new cats

Old 08-25-2012, 12:22 PM
IFinallyGotAPny

Unhappy Mech says I need all new cats

I have a '00 V6, there is no check engine on. When I turn the ignition it has a hard time starting. Once is on it sound like it want to stall (gives that put put sound and the entire car shakes). It feels and sounds better once I go pass 1500 rpm. Car just had a tune up in Feb. new spark plugs, wires, battery... I drove it to a mech who looked over the car and told me I needed all 4 new cats. Now he says the job will cost $1,136, I feel like that is alot. I've even contemplated selling the car. I am looking for advice on what other options. My car is sitting at my sister's house for the last 3 wks, 1hr away from me, I need figure something out.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:04 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Symptoms sound like the cat diagnosis is likely to be correct to me. Going to be tough to sell a car that's running as bad as you say.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:30 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Screw that, get this
http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-...ns-9404v6.html

It's almost half that price and will make the car more fun to drive lol, if your not down for a whole exhaust, take it to an exhaust shop and tell them you want the stock cats cut out and replaced with high flow cats. Should be WAY cheaper than your quote.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:32 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Forgot to mention have the 4 stocks replaced with just 2 high flow.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:55 PM
IFinallyGotAPny

Haha,I was actually on the site earlier and that's what made me question things. I started wondering if it would be easier to get one of the combo kits they had for that price. Now I'm not versed when it comes to this stuff, my ex-husband took care of that part, so I'm a bit clueless. I prob should have mentioned this b4, my car is a 3.8L with what I believe is a single exhaust? Can I still get these and not have to modify alot or how much would have to modify?
Old 08-25-2012, 01:58 PM
IFinallyGotAPny

I just wanted to make sure that's what it was. The mech did tell me if I decided to sell to talk to him, he was interested. That is the only issue with the car he said, that and the convertible top due to wear.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:08 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Ah, the mechanic was interested in buying it? Sounds like he jacked up the price to make you wanna sell it.

And that kit is bolt on, no modifications whatsoever, just gotta turn some wrenches!
Old 08-25-2012, 06:30 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Yup, that kit is a nice bolt on kit that any shop should be able to put on for you.

Also if you send a message to AmericanMuscles rep on our forums they will give you a further discount, I think its 6% or something like that.

In the future if the cats go bad again you can simple buy two high flow cats and have them welded in place of the old ones and be in it much much cheaper then having to take care of 4 stock cats.

Now here is something to remember.

DO NOT LET THEM TAKE YOUR STOCK CATS!

Those are worth good money, right now the average is $40 dollars each, thats $160 dollars that goes in your pocket to put to the new exhaust.

Check the phone book and find a scrap or recycling yard and ask them how much they give for Ford Medium Cats. Let them know it is from a Mustang and the two front are pre-cats. The Pre-Cats can often fetch more so let the place know what they are.

I also like THIS kit better because the cats are not welded on and it has very nice tips.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-...ed-9804v6.html

To finish this out right you should think about getting a GT rear bumper because it has the dual cut outs. You do not have to do this right away but it would look best if you did.

And in the end, even with a new bumper, your still cheaper than the shop and get get a nicer, throatier exhaust, more power and possibly a little better fuel economy depending on how you drive.

Lets not forget that if you do turn around and sell the car, you actually increased the value of your Mustang by giving it True Dual Exhaust.

Last edited by NeoTokyo; 08-25-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:05 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

I like that kit as well but I linked to the other one cause it was cheaper lol. And I actually like the look of the v6 bumper with duals over the gt with cutouts
Old 08-25-2012, 08:51 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

for a grand, i had long tube headers, new gaskets, a 2.5" catback, 2 high flows, new o2 sensors etc, price sounds high just for cats IMO, a mid pipe and a GT catback can be had for much less

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mech says I need all new cats