V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Shocks/Struts for a Noob?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 06:11 PM
Rapscallion Stallion
1st Gear Member

Question Shocks/Struts for a Noob?

I used to baby my Stang (Olivia). Lately, though, with preparing to get married, getting my bachelor's degree in a couple weeks, and attempting to find a job, money has been tight and my motivation for car work has been nil. Heck, my rotors have been warped for the past 3 years. I recently got new tires and the people installing them told me my shocks and struts were still factory and needed to be replaced (132,000 miles).

At this point in my life, I'm just looking for something inexpensive that will get the job done. I have two options in front of me.

Big O' quoted me at $469.87 for Monroe shocks/struts.
-Struts at $100.99 apiece
-Shocks at $41.99 each
-Misc something for $15.80
-Taxes at 18.11
-Labor at $40.00 + $110.00

Grand total of $469.87.

Surely they're trying to screw me over. The catch is that with this I can get a free alignment afterwards. Since I got new tires and an alignment, they said if I get the work done there they'll redo the alignment for free.

Another option I have is to get the parts myself and pay a buddy to do it. He said he would take care of it for $20 per strut and $10 per shock. But with this I have to pay for another alignment myself.

Which option should I choose? And if I choose the second option, what is the least expensive I can get away with without getting completely crappy shocks?

Thank you for helping out with this.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:25 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

If your replacing shocks with stock shocks, you should not need another alignment. Also, shocks are extremely easy to replace on these cars, choose your favorite parts store, advance, napa, ect....shocks for the rear can be had for like 20-30 bucks. I just did my rear, not sure on prices for front, but can't be much more. Took maybe an hour to do rear. Don't even have to lift the car to do the rear.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:42 PM
Rapscallion Stallion
1st Gear Member

So that takes care of the rear. Thank you for the response.

Are new struts even needed? It's a daily driver and I don't really dog my car. As long as they're there, does it matter how used they are?
Old 11-26-2012, 08:57 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Does your car feel overly soft? Like when you go through a dip at highway speeds does it seem to bob up and down more than you would expect? Prolly doesn't need to be replaced. Mine were bad though. It was about like how it feels to ride in a boat.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:51 AM
Rapscallion Stallion
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BabyGT
Does your car feel overly soft? Like when you go through a dip at highway speeds does it seem to bob up and down more than you would expect? Prolly doesn't need to be replaced. Mine were bad though. It was about like how it feels to ride in a boat.
It is the exact opposite, actually. It jars me really hard when going over bumps, as if the shocks are bottoming out. There is also a lot of sideways play when the back end lifts back up. The back end feels very unstable. (this is all in reference to a dip I always hit while going ~65mph around a 360 degree curve on-ramp)
Old 11-27-2012, 02:19 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

With that description I'd replace shocks and springs.
I just bought these myself,
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/mog-cc827/overview/
Old 11-27-2012, 06:00 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

I would consider upgrading that to Strange Engineering 10-way adjustable shocks and struts. They're not much more than those Monroes, but they work really well!

http://www.uprproducts.com/strange-m...-strut-94.html
http://www.uprproducts.com/strange-m...-shock-94.html
Old 11-28-2012, 06:52 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Not tryin to be a jerk but that's way more lol if he's like me he's on a budget and just want stock suspension. Those are nice though.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:21 PM
Dr.Le
2nd Gear Member

I can confirm that when you change shocks/struts you do NOT need an aliment b/c you are NOT changing the height of your ride. ONLY springs w/ change the height which USUALLY need an aliment.

I think you can DIY this project. its really easy. especially since you're on a budget the DIY will save you money!

Good luck! (if your lucky, someone will sell you stock take-offs, look around for them. I found some take offs for 100 included springs and shocks/struts but i didnt get them b/c i wanted performance springs/shocks not the stock or GT take-offs) whatever fits you.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:17 AM
Rapscallion Stallion
1st Gear Member

Thanks a lot for the advice and tips. This makes my decision a lot easier.

Quick Reply: Shocks/Struts for a Noob?