V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Loud screeching noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Michael Perin

Default Loud screeching noise

So I have a 2000 v6 mustang and sometimes when I floor it, and it starts getting to high RPMs it makes a loud screeching noise the last time I did it I let off the gas and it went to about 3000 rpm and stuck their for a little bit while still makeing the loud noise then it lowered from 3000 and the noise stoped. Any ideas on what it could be? thanks only mod is it has duel exahust
Old 12-05-2012, 05:35 PM
Ironhandx
1st Gear Member

sounds sort of like a belt or pulley problem. Check belts for any sort of looseness.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:51 PM
Dr.Le
2nd Gear Member

^ agree, is it worst during cold weather? or on cold start ups?
Old 12-06-2012, 03:38 PM
Michael Perin

It only happens when i really step on it and I havent had the car for long only like a month so idk how it deals with hot weather but i live in nevada so its not very cold right now, and ill check the belts its sapose to have 1/2 inch of play correct? and thank you guys!
Old 12-06-2012, 03:46 PM
Michael Perin

Just checked the belts and pulleys every thing looked good and the belt was tight no cracks dident make any noise it looked just fine. any other ideas? i was looking around and it kind of sounded like it may be an exhaust leak but i dont know why the idle would stick, could it have anything to do with the throttle body?
Old 12-06-2012, 04:08 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Just because the belt has no cracks doesn't mean it is not worn out. Does the underside have a slight sheen to it?
Old 12-07-2012, 06:36 AM
Ironhandx
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BabyGT
Just because the belt has no cracks doesn't mean it is not worn out. Does the underside have a slight sheen to it?
Also how tight is tight? Generally speaking there should be zero movement beyond the edge of the belt flexing a very small amount.... 1/2" play towards the middle of the long span of the belt is normal for factory, I usually use joined belts and tighten till theres only about 1/4"-3/8", it will wear your belts faster and the joins if done incorrectly can put some wear lines into the pulley, but at least when a belt starts to go I know its gone. They do have a tendency to stretch a little and the slight sheen is caused by the massive number of revolutions. The polishing action of the pulleys will eventually remove enough material to slack them up.

Only happening when you really step on it REALLY REALLY sounds like a belt. They're not expensive to replace anyways, and the alternative causes of the problem are much more expensive. Even if they look good to you starting with a belt replacement is probably the best bet.

Last edited by Ironhandx; 12-07-2012 at 06:41 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Michael Perin

alright I will check it again im just a little confused on how it would only screech when i have a heavy foot so to speak, but I will check it again and see if their is any thing on the back side, thank you guys and i dident feel even 1/2 inch of play, what could the other alternative be for that? and also know I know that a good amount of white smoke comes out when I step on it and sometimes at idle.... P.O.S lol im just wondering if it could have something major wrong with it sence I got it for so cheap, but no check engine light is on so thats a good thing thank again guys I really appreciate all the help!
Old 12-15-2012, 04:12 PM
ReevesJonny

Default Solution?

Timing could be off causing the piston to be forced back down before its supposed to be.. very bad for the motor. I'm having that problem right now but premium fuel with an octane booster solves the problem short term. See if that method gets you anywhere.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:02 AM
Ironhandx
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Michael Perin
alright I will check it again im just a little confused on how it would only screech when i have a heavy foot so to speak, but I will check it again and see if their is any thing on the back side, thank you guys and i dident feel even 1/2 inch of play, what could the other alternative be for that? and also know I know that a good amount of white smoke comes out when I step on it and sometimes at idle.... P.O.S lol im just wondering if it could have something major wrong with it sence I got it for so cheap, but no check engine light is on so thats a good thing thank again guys I really appreciate all the help!
My mustang had the same problem, it was a belt. Happened once, then it was awhile before it happened again, then it started getting more frequent.

I'm not sure how much smoke is a good amount of white smoke, but a small amount could be the belt. If theres a lot then something is heating up way past tolerances and you're blowing off coolant or something.

Either way, smoke is not a good thing. have you had the car inspected?

Quick Reply: Loud screeching noise