V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Yet another exhaust question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 09:07 AM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

Default Yet another exhaust question...

I'm a newbie to cars, so I'm not 100% sure on what I'm even talking about. Just try and understand me.

Okay, so I have a V6 2001 Ford Mustang 3.8L
Not the best, and yes I've heard from millions of people already that the GT is better, bla bla bla. Well, the car's already a little modified. It has a GT hood, along with a GT bumper, tinted windows, black rims, along with red rally stripes, angel lights, and leather interior.

I don't want to spend money on a GT right now. Anyway, what would be the best exhaust for this car? I went over to a muffler type store, and they told me they "make" duel exhausts, but they don't sell the kits. What do I need? A kit right?

I was looking at duel exhausts, or a cat back exhaust. I want obviously two exhausts on each side. How much would it cost me in total, along with a mechanic putting it together for me?

Don't be hard on the noob
Old 12-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Ironhandx
1st Gear Member

I paid $1800 total... my car is set up to bolt up GT or Cobra Cat-Back exhaust systems now. That included Flowmaster Force IIs which were $700 though.

If you're getting a shop to do it and they're not giving you a break on labour the cheapest way is probably headers from a 3.8L 94-95(add about $250 if you don't go this route), an H-Pipe kit, or make sure they fabricate to at least 2 1/4". Stock cats are OK if you don't want the thing to be loud. If you do, replace with hi-flow cats, but check your emissions laws first as this could fail your e-test. Then bolt up a GT take-off. You could probably get this done for <$1000 vs what I paid.

I assume you want the performance increase along with the look/sound of the duals, so get a cold air intake to go with it. ~$100-150.

Edit:

Note: This won't get you TWO exhaust tips on EACH side, thats not what a dual exhaust conversion is for and thats not what you would call it if you were going into an exhaust shop. If thats all you want you can swap out your mufflers and tips at any reputable exhaust shop to achieve that for anywhere from $400-900 depending on how fancy you want it to be.

Additionally, about the GT being better... depends what you want the car for. Drag racing? Sure, GT wins, by a decent margin(though not a huge margin for the 4.6L V8 in the 99-04 GT's, it was a horrible V8). If you want a track car though a V6 can be preferable. Partly depends on the track though.

Also, as mentioned below there is a conversion kit to just put two tips on as well.

Last edited by Ironhandx; 12-19-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

http://www.americanmuscle.com/99-04-...=V6&adtype=pla

That is a link to the cheapest dual exhaust you can get although that is not true dual. That takes it from the y-pipe to two mufflers and tips. If you want true dual exhaust buy yourself and x or h pipe and some cat-back exhaust. Also with a little bit of will this is a very easy swap even for a novice.

Don't forget exhaust hangars if ya use this one though. The sixxer doesn't have them.

Last edited by Stevo86; 12-19-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:36 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

If you aren't going for big hp numbers down the road, a simple Y pipe back exhaust will do just fine. Should cost you more than a couple hundred bucks for a basic set up. On a stock motor car, the Y pipe back will give you the same (or lack of any) power gains as doing a full length exhaust from the motor back. The stock manifolds don't become an air restriction until you hit about 330-350 hp. So until you reach that point, don't worry about swapping them.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:45 AM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

If you pay 1800$ for v6 mustang exhaust something is wrong with you...

To have them make you a custom setup shouldn't cost you more than 500$
Old 12-20-2012, 05:40 AM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

^

Okay what do I tell them to do?
If I want them to make me a custom exhaust, what do I specifically say? I don't even know what to say. All I want is two exhausts on different sides like a GT, and sounds a little loud
Old 12-20-2012, 08:19 AM
Ironhandx
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ESG-642T
If you pay 1800$ for v6 mustang exhaust something is wrong with you...

To have them make you a custom setup shouldn't cost you more than 500$
There may be something wrong with me. That was total cost headers back though, and I had it done for exhaust flow purposes for later.

The Force IIs are coming off and going onto a friends GT as well. I have to swap in some borlas or something once the IRS gets put into the car

For what to tell them... exactly what lilroush just said. Y-Pipe back dual exhaust. Shouldn't cost you much at all.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MCR
^

Okay what do I tell them to do?
If I want them to make me a custom exhaust, what do I specifically say? I don't even know what to say. All I want is two exhausts on different sides like a GT, and sounds a little loud
You click the think I provided and pay the $300 for that Y-pipe to 2 mufflers or find something else just like it. Upon delivery you put it in a friends pickup, drive to the exhaust shop and pay about an hour or two labor to have it installed.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:39 PM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

Thanks, I appreciate it

One more question
Does it sound loud, or is it eh? I don't believe NJ really cares if your exhaust is loud or not. I know a couple of friends of mine with 350Z's aftermarket exhausts that have never been stopped
Old 12-20-2012, 01:01 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

It probably isn't going to be real loud considering it just adds two mufflers instead of one. If loud is what you want save your pennies to buy an x-pipe or h-pipe and then the mufflers you want. The x or h pipe should bolt right up to your stock exhaust manifolds no problem. There are lots of youtube clips with different exhaust combos. Give them a listen and figure out which sound you like.

Quick Reply: Yet another exhaust question...