V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Compatibility Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 03:43 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I think he means the angle on the bar that goes from the strut to the firewall on the driver's side. It's mean to be that way.

As for the EGR bung... you'll need to have it put on - especially in CA. You won't pass emissions without it hooked up right.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:01 AM
Mrizk1
1st Gear Member

Yeah that's what I was trying to say, ok cool that makes me feel better that I didn't buy a broken part (no returns at pick a part) haha

As for the exhaust I didn't know that this would be such a struggle, I guess I'll just wait til I have the money for the magnaflow and get it all done at once
Old 01-03-2013, 05:27 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Well if it makes you feel any better those headers are going to give you a near zero hp gain. Only long tubes increase power and just how much is quite debatable.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:07 PM
Mrizk1
1st Gear Member

Yeah I knew that it wouldn't give me 30hp and 20 torque haha. But you actually brought up a question that i have been meaning to ask, what is the difference between long tube and short tube headers?

Posted from MustangForums.com App for Android
Old 01-04-2013, 07:57 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Long tubes remove two cats, which frees up your exhaust, which is where I believe a big portion of the difference come from, but the longer tubes also help even out the exhaust flow, there's more to it but I'm not a physics major so I'm not getting into air flow dynamics and such.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:14 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Yeah as babyGT stated long tubes remove the cats which helps power a little there and because of their longer design less scavaging occurs on the pipes which causes the air to settle more before entering the rest of the exhaust. I've yet to see a good dyno comparing long tubes to shorties on a V6 Mustang but on other generations long tubes usually add around 10-20% more power than shorties. But it really, really, depends on the motor (5.0, 4.6L 2V, 4.6L 3V, etc.) and the midpipe/cat back selection.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:22 AM
Mrizk1
1st Gear Member

Oh ok, learn something new everyday

Well, now I've been looking at some headers, and have you guys ever heard of the brand Pace Setter? It's on summit racing so it must be legit, haha. They're pretty cheap, but do you think its worth it for me to save up for these, or just wait a while loner to get bbk's or something?

This is a link to one that I found on the bay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PaceSetter-7...sories&vxp=mtr

Ithink this thread should be renamed to "Mrizk1's Questions" haha, but thanks for all the help guys,I'm learning a lot
Old 01-05-2013, 06:44 AM
Ironhandx
1st Gear Member

Its easily possible to remove those cats without long tubes. Its done on mine. They just fabbed up some new bungs and removed the cats.

The only bad thing I've heard about those pacesetters is they've caused fitment issues on some lowered cars for the sake of jutting out a bit too far and coming too low to the ground.

Edit: I think I mentioned that I've not seen any mustangs here with 4 cats... but I have an explanation for that now!

Evidently there was a guy selling cheap hack job V6 dual conversions a few years ago here out of the scrap yard as a side job... he's done ****loads of them evidently, haha.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:41 PM
Mrizk1
1st Gear Member

Who sold them? And does he still doing it?

Posted from MustangForums.com App for Android
Old 01-23-2013, 10:35 PM
Mrizk1
1st Gear Member

Alright, new question!

What are the differences between 4:10 gears and 3:73 gears? I have the opportunity to get some 4:01's for pretty cheap.

Quick Reply: Compatibility Question