V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Wierd Starting Issues 2001 V6 3.8L Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 04:20 PM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

Considering the number of times your Mustang has had serious electrical problems, I agree with the others who recommend replacing the car. I have a 3.8 that has had multiple diffucult electrical problems. The "investment" in fixing things has not returned it to reliability. These problems are are expensive to trouble-shoot and the expense and lack of trust in the car took away the joy of mustang ownership.

My other two 'Stangs are two of the most reliable cars I have owned-you deserve better than you are getting.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:23 AM
Hikari_NOS
1st Gear Member

My husband is good with electrical stuff so he's been helping me with the electrical issue, but now it seems like either the torque converter is going bad or the pcm is still having issues. Which may suggest I need to try another. And as far as getting rid of it, I've got no intention on doing so mainly for two reasons. 1- Neither me nor my husband have good enough credit anymore since we fell behind on our debt and are currently trying to get back on track, so we can't even afford a car payment, and 2- We both believe that the amount of money we've put in so far is way less than trying to get a used/new one.

Actually this stang has been pretty reliable. Even though its had its moments, over the past 7 years that I've had the car, its never been in the shop for anything major such as rebuilding the transmission or a new engine. The only time it was in was because of the not wanting to start bit, but ever since we cleaned the electrical connectors, I've not had it die anymore. So I'm thinking I've just got some bad sensors that need to be changed, but I was also wondering if the torque converter can cause jerking when trying to accelerate.

Anyways, I'm seriously thinking we've just about got it fixed. It's just taking time since we don't have any money to really buy what parts we think we need.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:17 AM
Hikari_NOS
1st Gear Member

K. So just to let everyone know. I've had quite a few sensors going bad on me, but as I fix them so fixes the problems they were causing. Last week when I took my car in for an electrical diagnosis, they pinpointed the egr dpfe as gone bad again. I had changed that part back in 08, so should it have gone bad that quickly? Or is this the normal life expectancy of one?

At least now my egr code is gone for good again, but I'm still having a occasional hard shifting when in lower gears. Haven't had the check engine light come on again, so I'm completely lost as to what is going on with that. Essentially when driving, mainly when going up hill from a dead or close to dead stop and regardless of how much I press done on the gas, the rpms will rise above 3000 but the speed will just barely rise until suddenly it pretty much pops into gear. I think this is a good way of describing it. I assume that would have something to do with the torque converter or the gears themselves in the transmission, right? Or could this still be electrical sensor issues? It hasn't happened when anyone else has the car, so noone but me, my husband, my mother, and my mother-in-law have actually been able to experience this issue. Makes it difficult when mechanics get a hold of it and it behaves, so to speak, and they say they can't do anything else to check it other than driving it since there isn't a code coming up from the computer about it.

Once again thanks to all who give some insight/suggestions.

Last edited by Hikari_NOS; 04-02-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:09 PM
Hikari_NOS
1st Gear Member

Wow kinda think the forums have pretty much died for general help.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:37 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

It's not that it's died, but trying to diagnose these kinds of things over the internet is often next to impossible. I still stand by my original statement of taking it to a shop and just paying the $50-100 charge to run a full diagnostic and find out all the little things going wrong.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:36 AM
Hikari_NOS
1st Gear Member

Yeah was hoping someone had had the issue of the sudden jerk into gear and figured out their cause, then maybe I could suggest that to the mechanic I take my car to. Anyways, they did the diagnostics but when trying to drive it, they could not recreate that problem. I kind of know why they couldn't get it to do it though. It seems to only want to do that from either a dead stop or almost dead stop and it has to be going up hill slightly. Other than that I finally got my egr code to go away. They told me other than what I've told them about the hard jerk into gear when it does do it, the car definitely has an exhaust leak somewhere around the engine bay which is gonna throw my oxygen sensor codes like crazy since the computer thinks those are bad even though they aren't.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:42 PM
darkpony04
2nd Gear Member

That's a nice looking mustang!!!!! LOL
Old 04-17-2013, 06:33 AM
Hikari_NOS
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by darkpony04
That's a nice looking mustang!!!!! LOL
Thanks, it'll look better once I finish sanding and repainting the bumper that I got from a parted-out mustang just like it. n_n Also the image you see is what I photoshopped in elements 11. lol
Old 04-18-2013, 04:55 PM
darkpony04
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hikari_NOS
Thanks, it'll look better once I finish sanding and repainting the bumper that I got from a parted-out mustang just like it. n_n Also the image you see is what I photoshopped in elements 11. lol
Yes. I can see that it is Photoshop. I take classes too. In my opinion you should change the wheels and hood.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:02 AM
Hikari_NOS
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by darkpony04
Yes. I can see that it is Photoshop. I take classes too. In my opinion you should change the wheels and hood.
I haven't taken a class in the past several years. lol Didn't get too far into graphic design since I had to move to Florida with my husband in 2007. Anyways, eh I like my wheels, but I am seriously considering a new hood when I can afford it. Mainly cause it's falling apart in some areas since it's the cheap carbon fiber stuff. Whoever owned the car before me, put almost carbon fiber everything on it. Still working on sanding and painting my bumper, but the weather here hasn't been the most predictable. Been raining too much for me to do anything outside with it.

Quick Reply: Wierd Starting Issues 2001 V6 3.8L Mustang